Summing the pixels of two different layers into one image

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two pieces of paper were stuck together for a long time. One page was blank and the other had a painting containing thick pigments in some locations. The two pages were then separated. Some pigment had become attached to the blank page and now resides on it. Some pigment remains on the original painting. 

I have loaded both images, each one a layer, onto a single canvas.  

I have corrected for the horizontal flip involved, so the two images now "fit" very closely on top of each other when viewed as two layers. I can use the opacity two to adjust the transparency and see that the fit is good and the information from each layer is, of course, there. 

What I would like to do it to get Photoshop to combine the two images by summing the two images, pixel by pixel, to get something that approximates the original, single image.

Is there a command, tool, or sets of tools and commands to accomplish this  or to begin to accomplish this in Photoshop?

Let me know.

Thank you.  

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using advanced blending from Layer Style dialogue? If you have image on white paper (probably) and color pixels of image then place image with less painting pixels on top and try to split then drag right handle.

advanced blending ps.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two pieces of paper were stuck together for a long time. One page was blank and the other had a paintng containing thick pigments in some locations. The two pages were then separated. Some pigment had become attached to the blank page and now resides on it. Some pigment remains on the original painting. 

I have corrected for the horizontal flip involved, so the two mages now "fit" very closely on top of each other when viewed as two layers. I can use the opacity two to adjust the transparency and see that the fit is good and the information from each layer is, of course, there. 

What I would like to do it to get Photoshop to combine the two images by summing the two images, pixel by pixel, to get something that approximates the original, single image.

Is there a command, tool, or sets of tools and commands to accomplish this  or to begin to accomplish this in Photoshop?

Let me know.

Thank you.  

I have loaded both images, each one a layer onto a single canvas.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would just stack them, with the top layer in Darken blend mode first.

It's possible that the paper color is darker than any white pigment used - in that case try Blend If like Bojan suggests.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to both Bojan and D Fosse. The pages are quite old and complicated so each approach has its benefits in various areas. The original can largely be restored in this way and I can also see the damage caused by a knife-like instrument as it was used to separate the pages long ago. 

Very much appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines