• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The gradient map layer style not working correctly in the latest version of Photoshop v23.2.1 on Mac

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to apply a gradient asjustment layer in photoshop to a photo, as soon as I start to slide the handles around while in the tool, the photo turns to coloured noise that doesn't represent the colours in the gradient map at all. It's not until I click okay to apply that I can see the result correctly which means having to guess what setting to use. Anyone else had the same issue? I'm using the latest version of Photoshop on the latest version of Mac OS Monterey ona 14" MacBook Pro M1 Max.

See attachment for the type of image I'm getting as soon as I try to move a slider in the gradient map

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have other reports that MachinePrefs.psp was causing this issue.

1. Quit Photoshop
2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
3. Remove the file called MachinePrefs.psp from inside the settings folder and move it to your desktop

If that fixes the issue, please share the MachinePrefs.psp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jasonr19874879 Let me know if that fixes your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the info, but I don't seem to have a 'Library' folder under my username?? Unless I'm not doing something correctly?Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 7.22.13 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the tip. Found the hidden 'Library' folder and moved the MachinePrefs.psp file to the desktop, restarted Photoshop and then shut down and restarted the computer and still the same issue when trying to use a gradient map. I noticed that inside my library folder there doesn't appear to be a Photoshop 23 Settings folder? Only Photoshop 2022 which is where i found the MachinePrefs.psp file and moved it to the desktop. Attached is a screen shot of the file that I moved. I'm assuming that once I restarted Photoshop it automatically created a new version of that file which is highlighted?Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 6.39.35 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. What happens if you quit Photoshop, then move the whole "Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings" folder to the desktop - then launch Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, I quit Photoshop, I moved the entire Photoshop 2022 Settings folder to the Desktop, restarted Photoshop and the same thing is still happening. I'm wondering if I should uninstall Photoshop and try a fresh install?

Cheers,

Jason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try that, but I'm not possible that would solve the issue. Can you post the PSD of the file above so we could take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens with every image I open and try to add a gradient map to, opening a Canon Raw .CR2 of a .JPG doesn't matter always the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried uninstalling Photoshop, then re-installing but the problem is still there, so frusttrating that I'm paying for a product that I can't use. 

Anyone else have any ideas on what could be causing this issue, HELP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Following as I'm also having this issue.

When using Gradient Map B&W sliders, the effect isn't seen until I let go of the mouse.

No way I can make precise adjustments until this is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines