Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The program crashes randomly.

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

From time to time, the tool cursor, e.g. a brush, turns into an arrow and all I can do is switch panels, options, etc. I can also save the file. I can't draw, use any tool and move the image. The usual mouse cursor symbol appears.

This happens on all versions: 2021, 2022 and 2023. The problem started to appear from the new year when I uninstalled the entire creative cloud and reinstalled the entire package.

My graphic card and tablet drivers are up to date. I currently have everything installed on a brand new system drive.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

I guess the solution is to enable the scroll all windows option in the hand tool settings at the top of the screen. I hit the unlucky key combination hundreds of times, and nothing broke. When I turned off the option, immediately after pressing the pen and hand tool combination, it jammed again. I guess this is probably the solution. I'll be watching this for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any exact system info and ideally soem sort of crash report we honestly can't tell you anything. You need to be much more specific.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU  3.40GHz 3.40 GHz        16,0 GB RAM      Windows 10 Home    22H2

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Wacom intuos pro M      

For example, using a brush and moving it, sometimes suddenly the brush cursor (e.g. a circle) turns into a simple white arrow like a mouse cursor. Since then, I can't move the image to any side. I can't zoom in and out, I can't draw, erase, use a stamp, etc. I can use the cursor to switch between options, layers, etc. Fortunately, I can save the file, but I can't edit or change it in any way. When I close the file (but not the program) and reload the file, everything works fine. I'm very keen to solve the problem, because I have a tight schedule and I can't procrastinate with work. I reinstalled the program several times. I reset preferences but that didn't help either. I read somewhere here that some people have the same problem, but there seems to be no final solution.

This happens with every version of photoshop available. I managed to find information that maybe the
windows ink function and the option of holding down the pen for a moment are to blame here.
I have disabled this option in the windows ink feature. I also disabled the press and hold option in pen and touch devices settings.I tried to disable the windows ink function in the tablet panel, but unfortunately then the pen does not detect pressure levels while working in photoshop.

So far I've managed to work an hour without a problem, but I don't know if this is a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the problem persists. After only 20 minutes of running the program, the problem is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try two things:

Go to Preferences/Technology Preview and check "Disable Native Canvas" - test.

If that does not resolve

Go to Preferences/Technology Prevew and check "Older GPU mode (pre-2016)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out what the situation is. This is 100 percent certain. The situation happens every time I have the hand tool turned on to move the screen and I press pen several times in a row in quick succession. It is enough that, for example, I press the space bar so that a hand appears, and I hit the tablet with the pen a few times. It crashes every time 100% of the time. A regular mouse cursor arrow appears instead of, for example, a brush. The problem exists only when we are dealing with a hand tool with the pen hitting the tablet.

For comparison, I turned on the hand tool and used the mouse instead of the feather by clicking the left button and nothing bad happens.

I updated the tablet drivers and then went back to older versions and it's the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going into Preferences/Tools/ and disabling "Spring Loaded Tool Shortcuts" first.

If that doesn't work have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences?

Go to Preferences/General and click the reset button. Quit and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset preferences and disabled the option you're talking about. It's still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the solution is to enable the scroll all windows option in the hand tool settings at the top of the screen. I hit the unlucky key combination hundreds of times, and nothing broke. When I turned off the option, immediately after pressing the pen and hand tool combination, it jammed again. I guess this is probably the solution. I'll be watching this for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences - here's more info on that?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! Its worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines