• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please keep 3D features

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a notification that Adobe will be ending/disabling the 3D functions in Photoshop. This is tough news because I have spent a lot of time learning and working in this area. I rely on the 3D functions for work and to make a living. Then I found out Adobe will not have another program that will take the place. The removal of the 3D functions without a program to take the place removes most of the value of having the 3D cloud membership. Please keep them! 

I'm somewhat aware of why this is happening. I dont understand most of the reasons.

I'm aware I can use an older version for about 2 years.

I created this 3D model in photoshop. Can you see why I hate to loose this functionality? Cliffs Procedural.png

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
29 Comments
Participant ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused as to the real reason this is happening.

3D is critical to my workflow, and losing it is a massive loss. I will now need to use other software like Blender etc to get the jobs done I could have just used PS for.

This decision is making my professional life more difficult and Photoshop less useful.

I urge the team to reconsider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused as to the real reason this is happening.

Some Adobe employees are active on this Forum, but if there was some sinister reason they knew about they obviously wouldn’t be at liberty to tell us. 

So my assumption as just another Photoshop user: 

3D in Photoshop was limited anyway and now that Adobe offers the Substance suite it would seem like a waste of resources to maintain similar functionality in several applications. 

I guess the same could be argued about Photoshop’s animation capabilities and who knows if it might not come to that? 

@davescm  wrote a good reply on the 3D-removal issue but I can’t find the thread at current. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same caveat as c.pfaffenbichler, I am a user of Adobe applications , not an employee.

Whilst I am disappointed to see 3D dropped from Photoshop, I take a balanced view. Photoshop at best had simple extrusion capabilities, slow CPU based path tracing, no physics simulations, noisy rendering.

It was a reasonable add on when it first came out in the, extra cost, CS Extended editions, but has not moved on or kept up with modern 3D applications, even the free ones such as Blender (which is excellent for modelling and very fast accurate rendering).

I took my first steps in 3D with Photoshop so am sorry to see it go, but I can understand Adobe's decision to focus Photoshop's functionality on what it does best in a 3D workflow i.e. the 2D elements such as compositing.

If Photoshop 3D is essential to your workflow then keep v22.2 or earlier around. You can set your upgrade settings in the creative cloud app to keep old major versions so that when v23 comes along that earlier version will remain on your PC.  I would treat that as buying time, and keeping the ability to edit older files,  while you look at alternatives for the 3D part of your workflow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving your take on the issue again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose what confuses me is, if they had those issues with slow CPU based ray tracing etc, why not upgrade the software to match modern hardware? Adobe is not a small company. Free software can now handle 3D reasonably well but Adobe lacks the resources?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely, though, there is more revenue and shareholder value in the way they chose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps. It will hurt me as an artist and make the program less attractive so if thats what they are after, they win I guess. I will be spending less time in their software because they are removing a section of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex_R84 wrote:

I suppose what confuses me is, if they had those issues with slow CPU based ray tracing etc, why not upgrade the software to match modern hardware? Adobe is not a small company. Free software can now handle 3D reasonably well but Adobe lacks the resources?

I think I once read an estimate that the Photoshop team was about 1000 persons. (No idea how true that was at the time nor how many of those were programming staff.) 

How many of those should be dedicated to trying to improve Photoshop’s hardware-usage for 3D rendering when Adobe offers other software that can »do it better« anyway? 

And how many of the free programs that handle 3D better do at the same time handle image editing 3D as well as Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, it has reached a critical point, with the move from OpenGL/CL to Metal and DirectX where the decision would be between :

a. A complete re-write of even the limited functionality, a lot of work for a very restricted feature.

or

b. A complete rewrite and extend the functionality and try and compete with other well developed 3D products (including Adobe's own).

or

c. Let the 3D elements die and remove them from future releases.

They chose the latter.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop’s history there have been other cases of discontinued »stuff« – Pixel Bender and Configurator come to mind. 

Though those were, if I remember correctly, never part of the default installation but offered via Adobe Labs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the middle of making a giant illustrated book so... fun times to learn new skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most programs I use continue to improve themselves over time. I dont use many that EXCISE entire function sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex_R84 wrote:

I was in the middle of making a giant illustrated book so... fun times to learn new skills.

Keep version 22.2 or earlier installed and you can still use 3D in Photoshop.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jane points out, nothing has been removed yet, and the old versions retain the same functionality as long as the operating systems allow them to work. So, lots of time to complete your project and no need to switch mid project.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @davescm and @jane-e pointed out you can continue using an older version of Photoshop for the time being. 

But I appreciate that if the book might need further edits or expansions in the not-too-close future, the hardware and OS you use at that time might not run those Photoshop versions anymore. 

So if you choose to use Photoshop 21 for now maybe make sure to export the 3D content at the end to make sure you could at least edit it in another application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its more looking ahead into the future. I was hoping that the 3D elements would keeping getting better and better. And then they vanish. I just want to urge them to consider taking the time to make them a proper part of the program and not throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose »Bugs« and »Ideas« are being monitored by Adobe personnel, does anyone know if »Discussions« are, too? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thinlk it is not the best desicion. At least to make it aviable for simple things like 360 panorma and painting on 3D. My animation students are screaming! Yes there is a wrokaround at https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html  but still create problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left Photoshop 2020 on my compouter and using it for my 3D projects!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt help us with our future projects, nor how much time and money we have invested in tutorials for some of these things they are now going to just yank away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You invested Money, Time Learning through Tutorials and Practice methods of doing things is Photoshop. As far As I see Adobe is not yanking all Away.  Adobe has never supported old versions of Photoshop .  However these days Adobe seems to be supporting Photoshop 2020 as well as Photoshop 2021.   Adobe has yanked the Plug on CS1, CS2 and CS3 activations servers but gave their old customers the opportunity to download CS2 and CS3 installers that do not require Activation.   IMO any Photoshop version prior to CS6 are not worth while using.  Photoshop versions can coexists on your machine and you can launch installed Photoshop versions using Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop application.    To Recover some space on my SSD I have removed CC, CC 2015, CC 2015.5 and CC 2017.  I have the installers to install the removed versions if I find I need something unique in them.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change was driven by changes in the operating systems with OpenGL/CL being deprecated. This would have meant a complete rewrite of 3D functionality which in reality was years out of date anyway.

See here : https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Adobe's 3D functionality is now in 3D Stager, 3D Substance Painter and 3D Substance Designer.

Modelling is still missing but is more effectively addressed in dedicated 3D  applications such as Blender, which is free and also has faster and more accurate GPU based rendering than Photoshop ever did. Adobe provide integration from Substance apps to Blender.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another creation I made in photoshop Gate Gescon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reference to Blender. I understand how the industry has to grow and change I just never would have excpected photoshop to completely remove these features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are now one of the Gold corporate members of the Blender Development fund

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate