Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tools swap and change without my orders

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my problems I have been having over the past few months

1. When I switch tools by clicking on their icons, or using shortcuts sometimes the tools will automatically change to the last option.

a. I click on the brush tool, (or press B,) and the tool automatically changes to Mixer Brush Tool, instead of the first option which is Brush.

b. This happens with every change in tool, (if i select Move Tool, it switches over to Artboard Tool.)

2. Another strange one, if I for example select four layers and attempt to move them, it will without fail remove one of the layers as I begin to drag them with the move tool.

Why does this occur? I can Alt Cntrl Shift to reset PS, but it has become incredibly tedious to do so.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided any system or version information or other tzechnical details, so we can't tell you much. simply sounds like you have issues with your input device.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your shift key stuck? That will cycle the tools if you use keyboard shortcuts. Or maybe the mouse left click is stuck, sending out click-hold instead of just click.

Either way, this is unlikely to be Photoshop, especially if you already did a preferences reset and that did nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a. I click on the brush tool, (or press B,) and the tool automatically changes to Mixer Brush Tool, instead of the first option which is Brush.

What is the Preferences > Tools > Use Shift Key for Tool Switch setting?

2. Another strange one, if I for example select four layers and attempt to move them, it will without fail remove one of the layers as I begin to drag them with the move tool.

What are the Move Tool settings in the Options Bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this.  I've been having this issue with the latest version and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you tell me what solution you did to solve this issue please? I have this too with the latest version, and the answer you have quote have no solution or maybe I read it wrong ><

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @NovaGood many users noticed that the Spring-Loaded Tool Shortcuts timing needed to be adjusted to 400ms, or unchecked alltogether in Edit(Pc)/Photoshop(Mac)>Preferences>Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences/Tools/ you can select "Use Shift Key for Tool Switch". This will require only the Letter for selection between tools but will require SHIFT-Letter to switch between tools in the same toolbar slot. So if you have the Move tool, selecting B brings up the current brush tool but pressing B again will not select the next brush, but SHIFT-B will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response! Something seems to have gone wrong:

When I have the Brush selected and hold SHIFT, it just makes the brush draw in straight lines rather than switching tools, do you know why this might be? This is after making sure "Use Shift Key for Tool Switch" is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WillRez  wrote

Here are my problems I have been having over the past few months

If you have Artboards, then you are using Photoshop CC, so have the option to customise your Toolbar, and save it along with custom workspaces.  I hate using the Shift key to toggle between tools (it slows you down) so I have it unchecked in Preferences.  I also remove the shortcut for tools I rarely use, and just select via their icons.

This is how my Toolbar looks for my most used workspace.  I don't use artboards so have removed the artboard tool completely.  If I hit the B key, I will always get the normal brush, but I do  occasionally use the Mixer brush, so I Select it directly from the Toolbar.  It takes up very little space having a two column Toolbar with all regularly used tools having their own spot.

The ability to save Toolbar layouts along with shortcuts and menus is incredibly useful.  Most shortcuts are already used by Photoshop.  In fact some already have more than one use (the Motion workspace switches shortcuts like Ctrl n to a Timeline specific use for instance).  So you can borrow shortcuts from seldom used functions, and save with a workspace, and switch back to Essentials when you need the default use.  

I switch between workspaces using the programmable 'G-Keys' on my Logitech G910 gaming keyboard, and it saves me a ton of time.

In fact I love the one key selection so much that I also have a Razor Orbweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines