Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform Again function not working correctly with Smart Objects

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This thing is driving me crazy for a while now and I can't seem to find anyone else complaining about it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong here. 

When trying the ctrl+alt+shift+T function to transform again a smart object, it behaves absolutely unrelated to what the transformation was. This is not the case for any shape or a rasterized layer. These work exactly as advertised.

So again, my process is (with the move tool selected)

1. select a layer (smart object)

2. ctrl+J

3. ctrl+T

4. nudge it with arrow keys for example

5. hit enter to accept the changes

6. hit ctrl+akt+shift+t

..and it starts jumping 20x bigger leaps then I did or starts nuding to the right horizontally with no regard to what the input was.

From what I can tell it's been going on for more than a year now and it was not fixed. Does anyone have any info on how to make it work again like it should? It would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate your problem when using arrow keys to nudge, Photoshop remembers and use last transformation before nudging Smart Object, otherwise everything works as xpected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan,

Naturally I tried both nudging a Smart Object with arrow keys as well as entering values via x / y boxes. In my case it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like a bug. I just tested one more time and Edit > Transform > Again is simply not available, grayed out when transforming Smart Object layer: nudging, rotating and even when scaling. This is definitely bug since it is not only on one machine and it should be reported.

It seems that option was never available, from my examination Transform Again never worked with Smart Object Layers, I just tested with CS6 and found this thread https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/smart-objects-suggestions

Can you confirm this option ever worked with Smart Object layers as with other types like pixel based layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All smart object layers have an associated layer transform. When you use Ctrl+T one a smart object The current Transform opens and you can edit the transform, like you can  nudge using the arrow keys..  There seems to be a bug in at least CC 2019 with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T for some smart object layers it seem to not be available the shortcuts does nothing.  However with other smart object layers  the smart object layer is duplicated and the associated transform does get nudged. I have not tested other versions of Photoshop. The bug could also be in other versions as well.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still broken in Photoshop CC 2020 (v21.2.0).

Transform Again (Ctrl+Shift+T) and Transform Again with Duplicate (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T) usually unavailable for Smart Objects. I have to create the desired transformation on a non Smart layer, then switch back to the Smart Object to apply Transform Again\with duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still broken but if you group the smart object first it works. At least it does for me. I use a simple action that groups, duplicates, transforms again then ungroups and i've bound it to F6 so that it can be used easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came across with this annoying bug while trying to create a mandala. 
I can confirm that the "grouping the smart objects" trick works fine. Hope it'll be fixed soon! 
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my actual hero! I've been looking for this exact solution for ages, I use repeat and rotate on layers alll the time, but was losing quality when doing lots of repeats on rasterized layers, so was having to manually do this with smart objects. You may have just saved me years of time making my commissioned work so much quicker- LEGEND!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Thanks. A. Ton. I've been dogging this for a year! So glad to have found this fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 2024.
Sometimes grouping gives an error, sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a minimum rate at which additional variations can be iterated,
Trying to adjust the repeats pixel by pixel won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not be a smart layer.
They can only be unconditionally rested layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you should start a new thread and provide a meaningful explanation of what you are trying to achieve and post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines