Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Transform/Free transform not behaving as expected

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not new to Photoshop, been using it for years, but just not as much over the past few years.  In the past, if I wanted to transform a layer, using the move tool, I would select the layer and then click once on the bounding box to bring up the transform options on the top toolbar.  From there I could click and drag from the various points of the bounding box to scale, or right click to bring up the skew/distort ect. options.  I want to think this is the "free transform" mode, though I've never had to use "CTRL+T" to enter free transform.  It was just the single click on the bounding box.  Please correct me if I don't have my terminology right.

What I'm experiencing now is that when I have my layer selected (using the Move tool), if I click the bounding box of that layer, the layer is now stuck to my mouse, and though I'm not holding down the left mouse button, the layer moves with my mouse.  I have to click again to get it to stay put, but then it's moved from it's original location, so I have to Undo the move to get it back so that I can do my transform from the original location.  And it's not consistently behaving this way either.  Sometimes when I click the bounding box, usually on the left or right side, then (without holding down the left mouse button) it will scale as I move my mouse left or right.  Everything happens with single clicks, no click dragging.

Is this expected behavior?  I can't imagine that it is, but I know Adobe has changed things over the years, so I have no presumption that things will always work the way they have in the past.  I've reset my preferences, and it's still doing it.  Do I need to re-install PS? I can also record a video if needed.  Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Is »Show Transform Controls« checked in the Options Bar for the Move Tool? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please include a video or screenshot,  we could help you more after that 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A video or screenshot would not help, as this is simply a matter of single clicking or clicking and dragging, the visible movement on screen is identical as previous expected behavior.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this for weeks, it's an extremely frustrating change in behavior.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for taking a while to get back to this.  Work comes first.

I'm attaching a couple clips I recorded. In the "transform" clip you'll see when I single-click on the right side, the image scales with my mouse, though I'm not holding down the mouse button.  Then after that, I single-click on the bottom edge, and the layer moves with my mouse.  

In the 2nd clip (Test 2), at around 9 seconds, I click on the lower part of the right border, and the layer scales as I move my mouse (again, no dragging, just a single click).  Right after that, I click the upper part of the right border and the layer moves with my mouse.  I'm really confused about this behavior.  I don't mind reinstalling the program if needed.  I just wish it worked consistently.  There are even times when I click on the border and it turns on the free transform mode, as expected, allowing me to move my mouse around without the layer attached to it in any way.  Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines