• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency not working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PNG with a transparent background, however the checkboard background does not disppear when imported into another document. Having had a look around for a solution I see it's been going on for at least five years without being fixed.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. Are you absolutely sure your png has transparency and has not been downloaded with a solid checkerboard layer? It is a common issue for example using images downloaded from websites where the preview has been downloaded rather than the actual image with transparency.

2. How are you using it within another document?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From memory, the issue has been that there is actually a checkerboard pattern with no transparency in some files from stock photo sites.

Can you provide the file or even a cropped section that contains both opaque and transparent pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure. The image was downloaded from a stock library as an EPS with a checkerboard background that bleeds through the illustration. When saved as a jpeg the background goes solid white and does not bleed through the illustration. What does that suggest to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's normal behavior. You need to open the .eps image in Illustrator or other vector application and turn off or delete the layer with the checkerboard.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG doesn't support transparency. Save it as PNG including transparency, is the transparency retained? As previously mentioned by Jane and myself, some files include the background. A vector file should be edited in a vector app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the file I was having issues with was indeed an image on a transparent layer, only PS did not handle it as expected. I managed to extract the image from the checkboard background from a Photoshop PDF. It had broken the illustration down into its component pieces as layers in group and design folders, which I flattened to get the illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@garyd68635075 wrote:

PS did not handle it as expected.

Photoshop handled it exactly as it always does when it opens a vector image with a checkerboard layer. I'm glad you got it to work.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines