• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TROUBLE USING THE PEN TOOL THE LATEST VERSION OF CC

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently went from CS5 to the latest CC and I'm having a really tough time doing something that was extremely simple in CS5.

When using the pen tool to make a path in CS5, I would first select add to path area and make a path around the entire object.  Then I would select "subtract from path area" and make paths for all of the negative spaces within the object.  Regardless of how many paths I made while in "subtract from path" mode, I would be, well, subtracting from the outside path.

I can not for the LIFE of me figure out how to do this EXTREMELY simple procedure using the CC version of the pen tool and no, I don't want to have to make dozens of NEW paths and save them so that I can go back to each and every one and "subtract from front image".  I've GOT to be missing something here.

HELP !!!!!!!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Once you draw the second path, and change the mode to subtract, you should be able to keep drawing additional paths in subtract mode, without having to change the mode, as it's sticky. The problem is switching while the normal path is selected and turning it into a subtract shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it not in the tool bar at the top, just to the right of selection, mask, shape buttons. The little double white square?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw your first shape in add or combine mode. Then draw your subtract shape in the same mode. Then with that path selected change the mode to subtract. Changing the mode before you draw the second shape will change the first path to subtract mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses.

Chuck,

I've read that before but when there are say dozens or more of negative spaces to cut out, that method would be REALLY cumbersome.  For instance, I just grabbed the attached image off the internet.  I know for something with this much contrast you wouldn't even need the pen tool to make an accurate selection but just for the sake of this conversation, I can't imagine using your method and having to address each and every negative space that way.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you draw the second path, and change the mode to subtract, you should be able to keep drawing additional paths in subtract mode, without having to change the mode, as it's sticky. The problem is switching while the normal path is selected and turning it into a subtract shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep !  Thanks Chuck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to open Multi Image are single click fill/ Paste ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines