• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to save photos of fine art

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had originally asked my photographer to save the photos of my fine art in jpeg. What a mistake! Then I found out about them being "lossy". I have already uploaded them, saved them, worked on them in Photoshop, saved the new version, then, after finding out about lossy, deleted them, downloaded them again and saved them in png. It seems they retained all of the changes I had made to them anyway. If I delete them from photoshop and my computer and download them again will that change anything? If I do that and save them as a tiff though the jpeg is still there, will that make a difference? Have I ruined them?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already uploaded them, saved them, worked on them in Photoshop, saved the new version, then, after finding out about lossy, deleted them, downloaded them again and saved them in png. It seems they retained all of the changes I had made to them

That seems strange. 

Are you sure you downloaded the original jpgs and not the edited jpgs? 

What changes did you make anyway? 

Did you never save the layered files (as psd, psb or tif)? 

Do you have access to the original unedited jpgs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the original, unedited jpgs.

I put watermarks on them and tweaked the colors a bit. At first I saved them as jpg after working on them. Then I worked on them more and saved them as psd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images »retained all of the changes« including watermarking then you apparently did not download the originals and the jpg damage would be (slightly) increased. 

Do you apply Adjustments as Adjustment Layers or destructively? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did layers on them. I guess that I had not deleted them entirely from my photoshop? I am concerned about any damage, that is why I am wanting to start again. If I successfully delete all of them from photoshop and my computer (trash as well) and download the originals again, then immediately save them as tiff, will that be enough? 

Thank you so much for your help and patience! As you can see, I don't know what the heck I am doing with this! Photoshop, photography and everything digital takes years to master! I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have the layered images don’t delete those. 

You might switch in the original jpgs at the »bottom« of the layer stack but Adjustment Layers and the watermark should be fine. 

One level of jpg damage is usually close to undetectable, at least if the level was high. 

So don’t beat yourself up, if you notice affected areas you can try manually touching them up or using the Neural Filter »JPEG Artifacts Removal« (prefereably as a Smart Filter and masked to the pertinent areas). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do still have them. Ok, I will do that. Thank you so much!!! Yes, lol! I was definitely beating myself up! So when I upload the original, will photoshop get them mixed up? Should I delete the bottom layer before I upload the originals again? I saved and closed them a few times already. Or is it best to start from scratch? There are only about 13 or so. Most of them I did not need to color correct, but I did put the xmp info on them all and watermark them. I will do the work again if I can be sure they are not damaged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I successfully delete all of them from photoshop and my computer (trash as well)

By @Janice5maps

The files aren't "in" Photoshop. They are on disk on your machine, and that's where Photoshop opens them from. Don't be fooled by Photoshop's home screen, which can give you that false impression.

Only the operating system (Windows/MacOS) can delete files. To delete files, you locate them on disk, with a file browser such as Explorer or Bridge. From there you can tell the operating system to delete them.

Photoshop can't delete files. It can only open and close them.

But yes, c.p. is right. Although you should always avoid resaving jpegs on principle, one single instance of resaving over itself will probably be unnoticeable. That alone won't ruin the file. The problem is that it's cumulative, and the degradation adds up over time.

And yes, the "remove jpeg artifacts" neural filter is surprisingly effective and well worth a try, if you think it's genuinely needed. If you can't see any immediate problems, don't do anything. Just resave it as TIFF or PSD and do further work on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am still pretty new to my Mac as well and find it confusing as compared to Windows. Since I have opened and closed them a number of times now I guess they will have incurred damage. It is hard to see now what was lost if I don't start over. I will have to compare them to my original painting to see. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be misunderstanding "lossy". It doesn't mean it will lose your edits. It means that the quality will go down and down with each edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Yes, I was thinking that the original gets further compressed each time it is opened and closed, degrading the original quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you adjust them using Camera Raw? Or did you adjust them and then save/overwrite the originals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Photoshop. Forgive me if that is the same thing, but I think they are different. I have never used that program before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should be using it instead? When I do color correction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just opening and closing will do no damage. You don't "wear out" the file. It is editing and saving which does it. Each edit and save makes the image slightly worse. You can AND MUST make decisions about quality, in those complicated settings you may not even see, which can reduce the damage. Above all KEEP ALL FILES, so never just edit - save. You want ALL the files - the original, the first edit, the second edit, the fifty second edit... all separate, carefully named, kept and backed up.

But we may be getting diverted. Let's focus on your actual need. You have professional JPEG pictures of your fine art, but you now need to change them somehow. Let's talk about the kind of changes you want to make - ALL of them - and we can probably give you good advice on the best way forward with Photoshop (or other Adobe app). Here are just a few examples of what you might want to do:

- just look at the images, without changing them, before handing them to someone else for work.

- crop images, removing part of the picture or frame

- join images, making a composite

- fix up the colours which don't look quite right

- make the images bigger or smaller

- add text, captions, signatures

- prepare the images for use on your web site or in social media

- turn it into a catalogue or book

- do more art, fixing up or improving the original picture

Please choose carefully which ones you want to do, and add anything not in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I am looking to color correct, make the images bigger or smaller, add text, prepare them for use on my site and social media, sometimes do more art by adding to it (other photos, painting on it, adding video or audio, etc.), (the originals are 2 sizes, one is a social media size, the other is a large file for printing) prepare them for printing at different sizes so they are not cropped by the printer. That is all that I can think of right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines