• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning my path into a selection not working the same!

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to create two paths on the same layer and create a selection that way. Photoshop would know to remove that 2nd selection within a selection when I would turn it into a layer mask. Now, when I go to turn my path into a selection, that secondary path disapears. Why is this happening?!

Please help. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

"Photoshop would know to remove that 2nd selection within a selection when I would turn it into a layer mask."

This part is confusing. Photoshop does not know until you tell him in proper way. If you want to exclude or include/intersect some path parts then use path operations from the Options bar while creating path to let Photoshop know what to do exactly.

path operations.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to create two paths on the same layer... then you can go into the Paths Panel and click on the thumbnail preview while holding down the Command key (Ctrl on Win) and that should give you a selection of BOTH your paths.

Hope that helps!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop would know to remove that 2nd selection within a selection when I would turn it into a layer mask."

This part is confusing. Photoshop does not know until you tell him in proper way. If you want to exclude or include/intersect some path parts then use path operations from the Options bar while creating path to let Photoshop know what to do exactly.

path operations.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for responding Bojan! 

Yeah, I was playing with that opereration yesterday and still Photoshop was not responding to any of them!

I actually needed the Exclude Overlapping Shapes opperation to work. Not sure why, but it's working now! Looks like the bug fixed itself? Very frusterating.

Thank you again and for referance image!

Have a grand day. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines