• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type of file: Photoshop.Image.19 (.psd) ERROR

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my CC apps yesterday and now my .psd files are showing a file type of Photoshop.Image19 (.psd) This is causing the incredibly awful issue of not being able to set these files to open automatically in PS 2019. Can someone please tell me how to fix this without the cleaner tool? Here is the exact step I'm on, once I click ok, NOTHING happens. It won't register. I've also gone to default app settings by file type, won't register. Please Adobe fix this issue! I've also restarted, uninstalled, reinstalled 4 times. Please help, thank you!!

Photoshop.Image.19(Won

2nd Image below:

.psdIconWontSaveOpenWithProgram.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Hi everyone,

I had the same exact problem and fixed it through editing the registry as well, but with a different solution than nenime posted above.

In the registry, find the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd and change the default value to Photoshop.Image.20 (mine was Photoshop.Image.19)

Just need to figure out how to change it for a .psb file as well

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's a mess, I agree completely.

At this point I would uninstall and reinstall CC2018. That's where the file associations point to, after all. Then uninstall that - with no other versions present on the system! - and hope that releases the file associations so that CC2019 can claim them.

I know, I know. I've said this for years. It's a mess and I don't understand why it's so difficult to clean up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response!Will that cause me lose any of my settings? Is there anything I need to do to back anything up before I do this? Thank you again for your help! I might call Adobe as well to see what they say....I'm SO frustrated with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save out any actions, brushes and so on that you want to keep. Just save it to somewhere you can reload from. If you have any third-party plugins they should probably be reinstalled anyway, but deactivate them if possible and applicable.

Then I would uninstall with "wipe all settings and preferences" or whatever that checkbox is called. I think I'd want a clean install/uninstall process here.

If this still doesn't work, I'm afraid there's no way around the cleaner tool. It's supposed to vacuum your drive for every little crumb left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have CC2018 on your computer, if not would reinstall using the adobe Cloud app, and use that in the meantime.

They have not put up the system requirements for CC2019 yet, but would expect that updated soon and that they tested most against Win 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-force-windows-10-set-apps-default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, the whole problem is that CC2018 was uninstalled after CC2019 was installed. This has been a big problem for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The creative suite  has always allowed keeping the prior versions when installing the updates, but Adobe  makes this tricky as you need to change the defaults by clicking on “Advanced Options” and uncheck “Remove old versions.” in the Adobe cloud app.  I am at work and we have we have an enterprise version of the Adobe CS so cannot show what that looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't have it on my computer so this won't work Stupid me, for always liking to update my programs right away! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalled previous illustrator and photoshop version. Files associations are ok now but with the cc2018 only, At least I can work again.

reinstalled XD and files associations are still ok but still with the cc2018. uninstalled cc2019 then reinstalled it but no luck. Well at least psd and ai files are associated with the cc2018!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem! Now my .ai and .psd files are open with XD!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just tried updating again to illustrator first and then photoshop and back to square one. psd and ai files are back associated with XD....

Next thing I'm gonna try : change the files associations in admin mode hoping this will solve the issue, if not, I'm just going to reinstall cc2018 so the files associations will point to it and will wait the fix from Adobe when they'll realise it's a bug and not just some random error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this problem on two different computers when I upgraded to latest Photoshop and Illustrator versions yesterday (Oct 16, 2018). Each time I double click a PSD or AI file in Windows Explorer, I have to manually choose Photoshop or Illustrator before the files are opened. And my choice is not remembered to next time I double click a PSD or AI file.

I have tried different changes in Regedit, but no success. For me, it's not worth reinstalling Windows and the Adobe apps. I just have to wait until there is a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so everybody's clear on what's happening here, the problem is caused by uninstalling old versions after installing a new one. This takes file associations with it, leaving them orphaned. Not every time it seems, but often enough that it's a very real problem.

What makes this an acute and urgent issue, however, is that if you check "Remove old versions" in the CC app - this is exactly what happens. The new version is installed first, then the old versions are removed at the end.

This is nothing new, it has been around since at least CS3>4, which is when I first experienced it. Since then it has been a regular problem in the forums around upgrade time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, editing the registry works - the registry is the actual root of the whole problem.

But registry editing is not for everyone. You have to do it right, or the whole OS is toast. You cannot make mistakes. So if attempting this, always back up the registry first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I had the same exact problem and fixed it through editing the registry as well, but with a different solution than nenime posted above.

In the registry, find the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd and change the default value to Photoshop.Image.20 (mine was Photoshop.Image.19)

Just need to figure out how to change it for a .psb file as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks milanbelgrade. That one worked for me.
But in my registry it did not say "Photoshop.Image.19". Instead it said "AfterEffects.16" something. I changed it to "Photoshop.Image.20".

I also deleted a wrong program association at \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd\OpenWithProgIds.
Now the PSD files open directly in Photoshop. I hope it will stay like that.

EDIT:
I also had problems with AI files that didn't open in Illustrator. But it works for me again by doing this:
At \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai I change the default value to "Adobe.Illustrator.23" (from "...22").

Maybe each person has his or her own but similar solution to these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg omg omg!! I could seriously hug you if I could, , changed my life right now. THIS WORKED!! Hooray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

milanbelgrade, thanks! This totally fixed it and was super simple. Mine was also oddly set to AfterEffects.16.psd, but changing it to Photoshop.Image.20 did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the solution for the .psb file as well. In the same registry as before but for the .psb extension:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psb

Change the default value to Photoshop.PSBFile.130 (mine was Photoshop.PSBFile.120)

Now, it works with psb files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm doing with the registry and have no "trained" IT department here, just me. Do you think Adobe will update this issue or am I just stuck with this? It's really disrupting my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Please refer the below troubleshooting article related to this issue and try the offered solution.

PSD file association broken after installing Photoshop CC | Windows

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit Goyal, that link was mentioned earlier somewhere. I tried it but it did not work for me.
Instead, I made the registry changes that milanbelgrade mentioned above, and that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit Goyal

This doesn't work. There is no "application" path after HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes in windows 10 as mentioned in the guide

Tried the solution from MilanBelgrade​ & it works. Though the icon still shows as Adobe XD to me - so its still not the complete solution. Hope Adobe comes up with a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi prash_gupta,

Sorry to hear that. Could you please refer the below troubleshooting article and let us know if that helps to fix this issue completely.

How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines