Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Ultrawide Monitor Functions

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I use an ultrawide 20:9 monitor with my 2018 MacBook Air, with Adobe products, is there a way to very quickly size an image window to the dimensions of a standard 16:9 widescreen, in order to quickly see how my project will look on a standard wide?  Also, just as a standard widescreen cuts off top and bottom to display movies in proper dimension, will the ultrawide automatically show 20:9 movies in fullscreen, and also auto cut off the left and right borders on 16:9 tv shows?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021
Which 'Adobe products' are you asking about? You have posted in the Photoshop Forum so this answer refers to that application. In Photoshop the image dimensions and aspect ratio are unrelated to the monitor dimensions and aspect ratio. You can design for any aspect ratio regardless of your monitor aspect ratio.  Common practice when setting up an image that could be used in multiple  aspect ratios is to set up guides which can indicate safe areas and those areas that will be cropped if the aspec...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which 'Adobe products' are you asking about?

You have posted in the Photoshop Forum so this answer refers to that application.

In Photoshop the image dimensions and aspect ratio are unrelated to the monitor dimensions and aspect ratio. You can design for any aspect ratio regardless of your monitor aspect ratio.  Common practice when setting up an image that could be used in multiple  aspect ratios is to set up guides which can indicate safe areas and those areas that will be cropped if the aspect ratio is changed.

The playback of TV movies has nothing to do with Photoshop and whether TV shows are cropped depends entirely on the playback software.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the clarification!  Yes I am using Photoshop, and that is very good to know.

Of course I know Phtoshop will not determine the playback.  I just thought perhaps someone would happen to know. 🙂

Thank you once More,

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a script that turns on Zoom Resizes Windows (Preferences->Tools), scales to 100%, then turns it back off. You might be able to do something with that.

#target Photoshop

main();

function main(){
app.preferences.keyboardZoomResizesWindows = true;
runMenuItem(stringIDToTypeID('actualPixels'));
app.preferences.keyboardZoomResizesWindows = false;
return;
}

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines