Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to drag and drop

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am unable to drag and drop the files (even .psd) into CS6 beta from my folder. Any solution for that? Please let me know. My OS is windows 7 U 64 bit.

Thanks,

Ramnath.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly happens when you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any legit reason why CS6 would lock files out.  Have you tried resetting preferences?  (hold down Shift Alt Ctrl as you launch CS6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I can't think of any legit reason why CS6 would lock files out.  Have you tried resetting preferences?  (hold down Shift Alt Ctrl as you launch CS6)

CS6 did not lock the files.

I have changed the preferences for

1. Rulers (Points to pixels),
  2. Memory Level Increased
  3. Location of Scratch Discs to D and F (It was C by default)

I have doubt. If I open the application as an ADMINSTRATOR, will it happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry not attending this forum for the last two weeks. I was out of station.

John Waller wrote:

What exactly happens when you try?

Nothing happens. A stop icon (circle with slash) appears when I try to drop the PSD/other files. In general, it happens in all applications when we try to open non-related files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does regular opening via menu or shortcut work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Does regular opening via menu or shortcut work?

Only "drag and drop" is not working. But via menu or shortcut are working well asusal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to make sure you files have not be recalssified as "read only".  Know it sounds too simple, but this does happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Check to make sure you files have not be recalssified as "read only".  Know it sounds too simple, but this does happen.

I'm sure. It's not Read Only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, Je pense que là n'est pas le problème. J'ai été confronté à celui-ci à la suite d'une manip hasardeuse dans mes styles de calques, toutes mes images importées s'ouvrait alors avec une importante dominante rose ! J'ai donc cherché à réinitialiser mes préférences... CTRL+SHIFT+HALT pendant le lancement de PSCC. Ce qu'on a omis de me dire c'est qu'il fallait les tenir appuyés depuis avant le lancement et jusqu'à l'apparition de la fenêtre de remise à zéro totale du fichier de paramètre de PSCC. Là dessus, impossible de pratiquer le "Glisser/Déposer" de mes images dans PSCC ! En fait, c'est hyper simple et je comprends mal que des cadors tels que vous ne le sachent pas. En fait, il suffit simplement de fermer puis relancher PSCC et tout rentre dans l'ordre. En fait je l'ai fait 2 fois ce matin et les 2 fois ça a fonctionné.

Je pense que cette manip fonctionne depuis les version CS ?

En espérant que ça fonctionne aussi pour vous, Cordialement - Pierre

PS, pour me relire, la traduction de Français en Français  est simplement hallucinante !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issue.  Photoshop CS6 x64 on Windows 7.  I can only open using Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click because my user account is pretty locked down at work so I have to open as an admin.
When I try dragging any files in I get a big circle with a slash through it (like the ghostbusters logo minus the ghost). And it won't open.  I have to use the file > open menu, and paste in my folder to get to the file to open.  This is a workaround but less than ideal as you can imagine (when you want to open a bunch of files at once like I usually do, or open files from various folders).

Running in CS 6 64 bit I don't get the dialog asking to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file either (in 32 bit I do get it with ctrl + shift + alt + click).

It won't open for me unless I run as administrator in 32 bit though

(complains both "Could not open a scratch file because the file is locked,

you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file.Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

and gives the error

"Could not initialize Photoshop because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.")

Exact version I'm running is Version 13.0 20120305.m.415 2012/03/05:21:00:00

Hopefully all this helps people with some ideas on how to fix it.

The read-only thing is a good train of thought, but unfortunately isn't the issue because Photoshop should be able to open the fiels even if they're read only, it should theoretically just blow up if you try to save them, and also they wouldn't be able to be opened from the regular file menu if that were the issue and saved back to that same original filename at its original location (which can be done with them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James_Affleck wrote:

I've had this same issue.  Photoshop CS6 x64 on Windows 7.  I can only open using Ctrl + Alt + Shift + click because my user account is pretty locked down at work so I have to open as an admin.
When I try dragging any files in I get a big circle with a slash through it (like the ghostbusters logo minus the ghost). And it won't open.  I have to use the file > open menu, and paste in my folder to get to the file to open.  This is a workaround but less than ideal as you can imagine (when you want to open a bunch of files at once like I usually do, or open files from various folders).

Running in CS 6 64 bit I don't get the dialog asking to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file either (in 32 bit I do get it with ctrl + shift + alt + click).

It won't open for me unless I run as administrator in 32 bit though

(complains both "Could not open a scratch file because the file is locked,

you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file.Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

and gives the error

"Could not initialize Photoshop because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.")

Exact version I'm running is Version 13.0 20120305.m.415 2012/03/05:21:00:00

Hopefully all this helps people with some ideas on how to fix it.

The read-only thing is a good train of thought, but unfortunately isn't the issue because Photoshop should be able to open the fiels even if they're read only, it should theoretically just blow up if you try to save them, and also they wouldn't be able to be opened from the regular file menu if that were the issue and saved back to that same original filename at its original location (which can be done with them).

Yes James you are right. The exact problem happend when open CS6 first time after installation. This is the reason I am still using ADMISTRATOR mode. But Not yet fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue w/ Photoshop CS6 x64 on Windows 7. 

Drag and Drop gives the circle/slash deal with CS6 64bit. 

No improvement with ctrl + shift + alt + click.

The issue is not happening in CS6 32 bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had have win 8 64 with same  issue  Aftereffects  cs6 no drag / drop.  However  after reading some post it seem the problem  is user set with Admin security.   I created  a second USER ID w/o Admin properties  and all drag/ drop works fine.  You can set file share folder for new id

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the solutions mentioned here and elsewhere; nothing worked. However....

Using Win 8.1; PS C6: What worked for me was simple.  Went to Photoshop.exe made a desktop short cut.  Double click, drag and drop works.  Made Tray icon, tested, works.  Made start icon, WILL NOT work !  do not know why latter does not work.

Hope this fix helps some folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm also having the same issue, and I'm also running Photoshop CS6 in Win 7 64 bit mode as well, and as an Admisnistrator.

I haven't tried it in CS6 32bit since I didn't install that version.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hope Adobe fixes the issue soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a corrupt registry issue -- the file extensions are not correctly associated with Photoshop.

The default install adds all the registry entries, so something has gone wrong since then with the registry entries for Photoshop 64 bit.

Have you used any "system optimizer" programs, or registry cleaners?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about registry issue, anyway will check it out. I do not use any optimizer or cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just had this problem of not being able to drag and drop and while reading this thread realized that it started just after I changed the program settings to "run as administrator" earlier today. I unchecked "run as administrator" and I can now drag and drop again. Unfortunately I had to check "run as administrator" to fix another problem associated with photoshop. I only recently began using windows 7 and have had nothing but problems. Windows 7/photoshop - not lovin it; not even a little.

I changed my settings in this way:

right click on photoshop shortcut to open the properties dialog box

select compatability tab

checkbox at the bottom under "Privelege Level"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After having the same issue for days and trying tons of stuff I found online nothing worked. After messing around in photoshop on my own trying to figure it out I right clicked in the layers panel and clicked on Clip Thumbnails to Document Bounds and BOOM I was able to drag and drop stuff again. It may have been considence but it literally would not work before clicking that so give it a try and see if that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening with me too. I can fix this increasing the memory usage (in preferences/performance), and I was selected the option "Big and flat" in the same menu. Before this I ran the 64bit version, and in this version the problem was solved.

(sorry by my poor english, I'm a Brazilian guy (: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get dragging and dropping to work on 64 bit by fixing the scratch disk info.  Apparently for some reason the setting the scratch disk in Edit > Preferences > Performance wouldn't set the preference properly so it wouldn't load up correctly on start.

If I hold down Ctrl + Alt then click to run Photoshop CS6 (i.e. Start > [Ctrl + Alt + left-click] Phoshop CS6 I can drag and drop programs into the Window.  In my case it's probably because we have restrictive permissions on the C drive because of a program called Deep Freeze (basically the System files are restricted, and can only be modified etc if you enter Admin login credentials).  So that was my issue.  I hope this tip helps out other people.

[It wasn't a corrupt registry in my case either.  The icons for various image types (jpg, gif, psd, png etc) show an Adobe PS icon, so I know it associated them correctly.  Not a bad guess though for not having seen the problem yourself.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am unable to drag-drop files into an open PS CS6 (x64 on Win7 x64). First, I can't open PS as a regular user; it complains about scratch file locks. My environmental vraibles TEMP and TMP point to a folder with full control for my login, but appaarently that's not the issue as I cannot start up.

I cannot start PS CS6 unless I run as administrator. Even then, I cannot drap and drop.

I did upgrade from CS4.

Same issue as many above.

Running with crtl+alt shows drive c: as the scratch disk. Cick "OK" and still no joy. Switching to another drive, E:\ in my case, works (both in PS satrtup and in drag-and-drop). Swtiching back to C:\ causes it to fail once more. Unfortunately, my C: drive is my SSD and I'd love to have PS work from the SSD and not a slower archival HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this drag and drop problem with CS6 64 and Win 7 64. Solved it by not starting CS6 in admin mode.

It's clearly a permissions problem. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for Photoshop CC: right-click the photoshop icon > Propreties > Compatibility tab,  and uncheck 'Run this program as administrator'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines