• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to get custom RAW adjustments to work when passing in from Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of stuck here and could use some help.

My usual workflow on my desktop is to do some minor global edits in LrC, pass it over to Ps (via right click > edit in > Ps) for more in depth editing, then save it back to LrC for finalization. Everything works fine with this flow.

Yesterday I had need to work on my laptop, and it's not working at all. Specifically, when I pass the image from LrC to Ps, it comes over as an untouched RAW file.

I initially thought it was a problem with custom camera profiles because I can't see the ones I have installed in camera raw. They aren't even there to be selected. But upon deeper inspection, none of the basic settings tweaks have come over, either. I've tried having camera raw prompt me for how I want to color manage files I open, but none of those options had any effect.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: If I open the file directly in Ps instead of going LrC to Ps, everything's fine. All raw settings are where I edited them in LrC, the custom camera profile is being used, and all of the other camera profiles are there for the choosing. So, it really seems like there's a problem in the handoff from LrC to Ps.

I have to assume that there's some obscure setting that I don't know about that's set one way on my desktop and another on my laptop. It's also possible I should be asking this in the Lr forum, but I'm trying here first because my problem is in Ps.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them, and how did you fix it? Help, please and thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Thank you for your input.  I actually understand all of what's going on quite well.  But something you said made me attack the problem form a differnet perspective and after more research, I discovered that this is a known bug for Adobe in LrC 10 which does not present on all machines.  A future patch is planned at some point.

For anyone else who has this problem and comes across my thread, what worked for me as a workaround is to force LrC to write changes to the xmp sidecar (Photo > Save Metad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me you're missing the distinction between a raw file and a rendered RGB file. Those are two very different things.

If you're not seeing any camera profiles, it's not a raw file. Then it's an RGB file.

Lightroom and Photoshop treat RGB files very differently, because they are two very different processing principles. Photoshop is a direct pixel editor, Lightroom is a parametric editor working only with text instructions stored centrally in the catalog.

This is why round tripping is not a good idea, unless you're very clear on exactly what you're doing and how it works. If not, go from Lightroom to Photoshop and stop. One way only. This is the basic workflow with the two applications.

I don't fully understand your procedure, but two general precautions you need to keep in mind: Lightroom adjustments will not necessarily be visible in Photoshop unless you make sure those adjustments are baked into the pixel data of the file. Otherwise they just exist as text instructions in the Lightroom catalog. Another thing is that Photoshop layers are not read by Lightroom. Normally Photoshop will include a flattened composite layer in the stack, and this is what Lightroom uses. But Lightroom will not write back to those layers, it will just return a flattened copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input.  I actually understand all of what's going on quite well.  But something you said made me attack the problem form a differnet perspective and after more research, I discovered that this is a known bug for Adobe in LrC 10 which does not present on all machines.  A future patch is planned at some point.

For anyone else who has this problem and comes across my thread, what worked for me as a workaround is to force LrC to write changes to the xmp sidecar (Photo > Save Metadata to File...).  The Edit In > Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 route then carries over changes made in LrC to the copy opened in Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. In that case it's possible you have stumbled into a different issue. Are you using third-party/custom camera profiles in Lightroom?

There is a bug that prevents these profiles from being correctly transferred to ACR > Photoshop.

It does not happen with the standard/native profiles.

Yes, a known workaround is to save metadata to file. Another is to use DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly right, it's a third party/custom profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines