• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Lightroom images as layers in PS

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue through my last couple of upgrades of software... I have current versions of LR Classic (11.5, ACR 14.5) and PS (23.5.0) on a 3yo Intel iMac (also up to date w/ MacOS Monterey 12.5.1).  When I try to open photos as layers in PS, it brings up the software but does not open files.  I've gone through a number of processes (reset preferences, uninstall and reinstall software in the past) but this process has just stopped working for me.  I'm at a loss, and would really like to do some focus stacking work.  Please advise!

Thanks,

Dave

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until waiting for solution, have you tried to open as layers from Photoshop (File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bojan, you are right-- I should probably try doing it manually to make sure things are OK on the PS side.  I'll give that a try later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bojan-  I've been a bit distracted, but I finally tried this.  It worked with no problem when I export the files first from LR and then read them into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that some people mentioned in the past that sometimes it works if you open Photoshop first and then go to Lightroom.

Maybe try this?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Marek.  Unfortunately that does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally been able to resolve this, but TBH I'm not 100% certain of what I changed.  I strongly suspect that it is from a security change in the most recent MacOS version.  Check in the System Preferences--> Security&Privacy under the Privacy tab.  Scroll to the "Full Disk Access" icon, and make sure that both Lightroom and Photoshop are checked.  I strongly suspect that what happened was, Lightroom was writing the temporary image files to a disk that PS did not have access to (I had opened up disk access to LR-- but not PS-- a few months back when I was running into other problems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I'd appreciate it if one of the Adobe experts could confirm that my change is likely what resolved this.  I'm an experienced user, but most of the time know just enough to be dangerous... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more follow-up to clarify: I use an external drive for my files.  It is this drive that Lightroom and Photoshop do not have access to without the security change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe that's why it wasn't working.

Glad it's working for you now.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines