Undoing an HDR to restore original files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a bunch of pictures with my Canon 5D Mark iv, CR2 Files.  I created a bunch of HDRs using ACR that are now DNG files.  Is there a way to un-export them and restore the originals?

I ask this becasue I like to save my original raw data in my archives, but don't see a need to save them if they can be exported from the DNG files.  There's no use in having 2 originals.

Or is there???

I tried to attached one DNG files as a sample, however it's a whopping 130.67 MB, larger than adobe will allow.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a million ways to derive images that may look like the original image from your HDR, but there is simply no way to extract the exact original in some magic way unless it actually has been fully appended as a custom data chunk, which kind of goes against the point you want it to work. It would still fully count in terms of data usage, so you don't save any storage space. If you really want to play it safe, you can't avoid archiving the originals.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used DNG format myself, but isn't there an Extract option?  Yes.  Check this thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/how-to-extract-the-original-raw-file-fr...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mylenium.  I didn't see your reply and replied on the thread that was linked below.

I'm using ACR to merge 2 or 3 CR2 files into an HDR. In one examople, the two CR2s are about 40MB each, or 80MB total, and the DNG is iver 120MB.

However when I use the extract function of the DNG conevrter app, nothing shows up so I'm assuming that it won't work in my case.  Why on earth would the DNG HDR file be so large then?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines