Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unusual colors in gradients

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am attempting to create a simple transparent to pink gradient over black, and i am finding there is the faintest green halo around the extremity of the gradient. I also tried doing the same gradient with pink -> black instead of transparent and got the same halo. What is the reason for the gradient rendering like this so i can mitigate the issue? The file is a normal RGB color document. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where, exactly?

Is it set to 16-bit (or better) color resolution? What method is being used on the Options bar for the gradient? (Perceptual is ideal.)

You could add a tiny hint of noise by creating a layer above, fill it with white, add some noise, then use a blend mode like multiply and adjust opacity to taste. It will break up the haloing a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known bug with Perceptual gradients in some or all cases. I ran into it recently too (v23.3.1), so "perceptual" is out of the question for me.  OTOH, I think it's already been fixed in more recent versions?  (not 100% sure)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P: Black, White Gradient Preset and Perceptual Int... - Adobe Support Community - 12757731

Reported to be fixed in 23.4, IIRC.

There might have been "still there!" reports though — not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your responses - i've tried switching it from perceptual, classic and the halo was still there. I think it dissapears on linear but then of course it's kind of an ugly gradient that fills the whole sphere with pink like a planet.

On the attachment you can see the hazy green "atmosphere" of green on the perceptual, the classic has more of a defined seam. 

The program is completely updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see any green, but I'm not optimally calibrated, "getting old," and it's night here... 😜

Are you sure it's not an optical effect?  AFAIK, some situations can make you see the complimentary color w/o it being actually there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no green, it's just a perceptual illusion. Here lightened with a curve and a black border:

gradientest_curves2.png:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at your screenshots on 2 monitors and can't see any green. Are you sure it's not your monitor?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i zoomed into it there were definitely bands of green or some sort of subtle grey... (i zoomed into it close on this attached image where there is two discrete bands)  DFosse's adjusted image above I definitely see a subtle hazy ring of grey-green on the edge of the perceptual.... perhaps it is my eyes or monitor that is going!  Regardless i think i resolved the issue by manually setting up the gradient and switching to 16 bit which seems to have fixed it. Thanks for everyone's help. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So can you detect the green with the Photoshop eyedropper - or you just perceive it on screen

are you viewing in Photoshop at 100% 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines