• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted crop

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open an image, it is displayed with a crop, when I don't want one necessarily. and now it has a grid of horizontal and vertical lines making it hard to edit.  I don't know how this started but I want to return to choosing when I want a crop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

There are probably two parts to this problem.

Do you mean the crop rectangle controls always appear over any image you open? That usually means that the Crop tool is active, which is OK. If you don’t want to see the crop tool controls, change tools.

If the crop rectangle does not match the open image, so that it looks like it’s about to chop off two ends, then the Crop tool is set to a specific aspect ratio. To stop that, click the Clear button in the options bar at the top of the screen whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

maybe if you try to reset the preferences will work, here the instructions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

LMK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st suggestion, change preferences link:  "Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] SettingsWindows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings"

In Users, there are 3 folders:

default.migrated has an appdata folder but its only folder is 'local'

public, and the one with my name have no appdata folders.

2nd suggestion. Deselecting crop tool.  That worked.  There was still a grid and I looked in view and deselected extras and that went away also. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are probably two parts to this problem.

Do you mean the crop rectangle controls always appear over any image you open? That usually means that the Crop tool is active, which is OK. If you don’t want to see the crop tool controls, change tools.

If the crop rectangle does not match the open image, so that it looks like it’s about to chop off two ends, then the Crop tool is set to a specific aspect ratio. To stop that, click the Clear button in the options bar at the top of the screen when the Crop tool is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't reset preferences by the directions as I indicated, and every time I open an image I have to deselect the crop tool and then the grid as both are automatic. A nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, you can try to reset the Crop tool by right-clicking on its icon in the option bar (not the toolbar) and selecting "reset tool"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If above answers does not help, can you please post screenshot with entire window and Layers panel visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines