• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use the Crop & Straighten, but don't crop.

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I very much want to use the automated straighten feature, sadly the crop cuts part of the image and it absolutely cannot... Is there a way to use it without cropping? I really can't understand why it wouldn't be an option to disable 1 or the other, surely it can't be sharing the same logic and would be pretty easy?

This feature would probably make quite a few people happy, and it would alleviate a huuuuuuge amount of time I waste straightening images manually or using the tool, but why do that if there's an automated one you guys already created?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

If you want to post a Photoshop Feature Request please do so over on 

Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Content Aware in the Options bar and extend the crop outside the image boundary.

TrevorDennis_0-1627976375600.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't like how Photoshop automatically fills in the missing pixels, another approach is to distort the image to fit the new document boundary with Free Transform.  If you have just a small are of transparent pixels then Free Transform > Warp will often work letting you pull a corner to fit the image to the frame.

You didn't mention Perspective Crop.  That can be used to automatically crop, straighten and square up an image to the frame.  I can't help but think the tools are already there. You just need to find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this script (based on @r-bin  code from How to cut out photos )

#target photoshop
s2t = stringIDToTypeID;

try {
    var d = executeAction(stringIDToTypeID('CropPhotos0001'), undefined, DialogModes.NO);
    var l = d.getList(stringIDToTypeID('value'));
    var p = new Array();
    for (var i = 0; i < 8; i += 2) p.push([l.getDouble(i), l.getDouble(i + 1)]);
    var angle = - Math.atan2(p[1][1] - p[0][1], p[1][0] - p[0][0]) * 180 / Math.PI
    if (angle != 0) {
        if (activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer) executeAction(s2t('copyToLayer'), undefined, DialogModes.NO);
        (r = new ActionReference()).putEnumerated(s2t('layer'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
        (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('null'), r);
        d.putUnitDouble(s2t('angle'), s2t('angleUnit'), angle);
        executeAction(s2t('transform'), d, DialogModes.NO);
    }
}
catch (e) { alert(e); throw (e); }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines