• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Time Machine for Mac — where will I find my brushes from before a reinstall?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I've seen answers to this query (or ones like it) but haven't come across anything that's solved my problem, so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

Due to an unrelated Photoshop problem, I fully uninstalled and reinstalled the programme the other day. Obviously when I reinstalled it, the custom brushes I'd made weren't around any more (not a suprise!). 

Given that I didn't back them up myself specfically, I thought I'd be able to find them in an older version of my system back up using Time Machine — but when navigating to the presets > brushes folder they're actually all empty. I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong place or something but if anyone has any guidance on where Photoshop stores those presets by default, that'd be fab. This is where I've been looking:

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 15.26.31.png

I'm using Ps 2021 with a Mac running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Can you locate this file

/~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/Brushes.psp

That should contain the brushes in the Brushes Panel, even those that have not been saved as abr-files, 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

I just did it, oops:

Here's the solution for anyone else. I'm going to spell it out becase I had trouble getting my head around this:

If you haven't manually saved your brush presets, they're actually stored in the application preferences as a .psp file. 

[user] > Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings > Brushes.psp

Photoshop doesn't open this file like other presets (.abr files) so I:

1. Went into time machine from a date before the reinstall
  2. Found the folder above
  3. Copied the brushes.p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you locate this file

/~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/Brushes.psp

That should contain the brushes in the Brushes Panel, even those that have not been saved as abr-files, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @c.pfaffenbichler! I was just typing out my reply when yours came in. That was it; I was being dumb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did it, oops:

Here's the solution for anyone else. I'm going to spell it out becase I had trouble getting my head around this:

If you haven't manually saved your brush presets, they're actually stored in the application preferences as a .psp file. 

[user] > Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings > Brushes.psp

Photoshop doesn't open this file like other presets (.abr files) so I:

1. Went into time machine from a date before the reinstall
  2. Found the folder above
  3. Copied the brushes.psp file
  4. Came back to the present 
  5. Found the same folder
  6. Replaced my current Brushes.psp file (the one without all the ones I want) with the older version containing my 'lost' brushes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, i followed all the steps, found the Brushes.psp, after making visible hidden files like the library file.

replaced my file with the timemachine back up, but nothing. I deleted my current Brushes.psp and restarted my iMac that runs Monterey...nothing...What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines