• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable Text Large Data Set

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue in which I am trying to bulk export design with 600000 text variables. PS just crashes every time. Any advice other than cutting down the number of variables. I dont want to be processing like 5000 at a time because I dont have all day to sit at PC. Thx.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pat5F8A I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Might need to get a copy of your PSD and CSV to troubleshoot/debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey. Thanks for taking up this topic. PS does not display crash reports in this scenario. I just get windows spinning wheel for hours with Task Manager saying PS is not responding.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran this again this morning and after 4 hours I still just have windows loading circle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 6 hours it started. But each psd file takes several minutes to generate. Presumably, it incorporates all 600000 variables into each psd file. How can this be avoided. Ideally, I would like to convert all 600000 directly to jpeg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. it's a bit of a meniacal use case for Variables. It may actually be better, more efficiant to just script it using the ExtendScript API. Are you familar with JavaScript? If you just pseudo coded what your process is, there are lots of folks on this forum that could probably give you 90% of the code that would replace the text and kick out a uniquely named JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not saying that variables shouldn't work but depending on how things, you may actually be running out of memory. I don't think anyone has tested with 600000 variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey. Ryzen 5 with 32G RAM and a RTX graphics card. System monitor indicates PS is running at about 2-3G. I thought a simple non graphical t shirt with 600000 variables would be simple!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it does not crash at all? We'd call that a "hang" but since it does something eventually, that's really just "slow". But no slower that I'd expect. No simple: pushing beyond all imagination. If you can outline what use you make of  6 million variables for one tee shirt (?), someone may be able to suggest the best alternative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts. I guess I'll just have to go and think about it. I'm not joking, but I originally was looking at 1.4 million variables. Xls couldn't handle that. I thought 600k would be OK. I really think it would go much better if PS just spat out jpg files instead of PS. That's not possible is it? My day job is research chemist. This is a hobby - hoping to make some extra cash. I'll have a look at Extend script but haven't coded before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another thought. PS handles 1000 variables fine. Is there some way I can use a macro or other automation to open csv file, take first 1000 variables, process them and then continue the loop selecting the next 1000 variables etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately - Variables only spits out PSD. It was originally created to work with a server product called Adobe Graphics Server in the early 2000s which would spit out the optimized results for web sites. (Having been here nearly 21 years I unfortunately remember the 'olden days')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines