• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very long storage times with activated PSD compression (24.1.1)

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the saving process of PSD / PSB files takes an extremely long time with activated compression (factor 10 and more).
I have a Ryzen 5950x and save on M.2 drives. The operating system is Windows 10. 

During saving, the load on one core is always 100%.

Saving uncompressed is not really an option because the files become very large.

Is it normal that even with powerful hardware the saving process takes so long?

Many thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and this is why some of us disable compression. Compression is very CPU-intensive and unbearably slow, especially with many layers. But as I usually say, if you worry about disk space, you're in the wrong business 😉

That said, you should have better core distribution. I have all 8 cores active, although some slightly more busy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I have a better core distribution? With my computer there is just one core active, CPU utilation ~5% for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this a single core action? So clock speed matters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and this is why some of us disable compression. Compression is very CPU-intensive and unbearably slow, especially with many layers. But as I usually say, if you worry about disk space, you're in the wrong business 😉

By @D Fosse

Yeah I guess so. I was going to say it's more expensive as your SSD grows older quicker but the cache files of Photoshop, AE etc are SO large that 3x psd size is actually peanuts. Especially AE cache filling up to whatever size you've set it in the Prefs (46GB in my case). I can work in Resolve all day and barely any cache produces. Hmmmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 bit files? and yes, Adobe has decided not to optimize the saving of 16 bit compressed images since being introduced decades ago. The save time is often 10x more than non-compressed images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thats it.. 16 bit file... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine working with 32 bits EXR files and saving that. Takes 3 min on my 2950x AMD CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines