Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very strange noise issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Recently I made the switch to camera raw and today I realised that all photos I have edited as raws, and later exported as jpeg's suffer from a rather severe noise issue once viewed online (on most, but not all places). The file looks fine viewing it on my desktop and while sharing on some platforms like discord for example. However, uploading it to instagram or sharing it on whatsapp they all present with the same noise.

I realise I probably am doing something wrong somewhere along the way, but I am hoping someone can help me figure out what. In addition to this I would also like to try and ask if the files that has been edited are salvageable by any chance (They really do look beautiful, just not in a way that I would wish to share them online).

I wanted to include the psd but unfortunately the file is too big to be shared here.
I included the edited file I exported as a jpeg. In addition I will also supply 2 screenshots - one from my desktop and one from attempting to post this photo online.
I use Photoshop 23.5.2

I assume that explaining my process is helpful, so here goes:

I open the raw file in photoshop camera raw
Process to desire in camera raw itself and open as object in photoshop and complete my adjustments. Once I am done I will flatten the image and go to File - Export - Export as
(Format JPG, quality 7, preserve details as resample, convert to sRGB + embed color profile

I am immensely grateful to anyone reading this in advance.

Kind regards,

Ida

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Did you open the RAW images as Smart Objects? 

What are the Detail-settings (Sharpening, Noise Reduction)? 

Please view the images at View > 100% – there is considerable noise indeed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope these are all the panels that you need, let me know if I missed anything.

I did open the raw as a smart object indeed. I made my additional modifications after, have applied the image, and flattaned it before exporting it.

I want to point out that this is not a specific issue to this exact image. I thought it was, until I started digging through what I have processed lately and this is the result of all photos I have edited with raw. In my opinion the file looks fine viewing it on desktop (some noise, but an acceptable level) but it definitely does not as soon as it is viewed elsewhere. All files I have edited in the same way, but where edit has happened to the camera jpeg file does not look like this being uploaded. All raw ones does.

Detail, sharpening and noise reduction has not been modified. Whatever adobe raw does by default, is what has happened to this photo. Texture and clarity is at 0, I am not sure about noise reduction. I did however run it via topaz (without adding in sharpening)

I imagine that I simply am exporting/saving it wrong, or use some wrong mode. I cannot explain why the file looks good in photoshop itself, viewing it in softwares such as irfanview, but sharing it online it looks so noisy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, it appears the issue of the increased noise gets solved by simply resizing the photo before uploading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As it turns out, it appears the issue of the increased noise gets solved by simply resizing the photo before uploading. 

By @defaultfpu944rkipzz

The Noise is quite pronounced at View >100% so it is there. 

You should assess images you develop at 100% to make sure they are »OK«. 

Downsampling means less detail, therefore less noise. 

Were the images taken with high ISO or weakly lit? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines