Video Render - DPX, H.264, and QuickTime formats.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

Can someone please recommend a read/ video that explains the difference between the formats avaliabliable (the DPX, H.264, and QuickTime) when rendering video in photoshop?

I did already read through the article below, but it only seems to mention these formats (rather than explain the differences between them) and doesn't mention DPX at all (a CPS format is mentioned instead - I think the article might be a bit outdated?)

Save and export video and animations in Photoshop (adobe.com)

thank you kindly 🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What will be the final video be used for?  That will determine what file type you should use.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/video/discover/best-video-format.html

Photoshop is first & foremost an image editor, not a video encoder.  For best results, use Adobe Media Encoder to render video.

https://www.adobe.com/products/media-encoder.html

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Nancy and Dave for the links - I'll give them a read 🙂

I was (still am, actually) trying to sort making gifs - sometimes (when the colour range/ scale of artwork's too big for a gif format to handle) the gif comes out looking odd colour-wise and so, I had been advised by community in a separate thread, to render it as video and turn into gif outside of photoshop. And this is what got me exploring and trying to find out what all those different formats are 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Choosing video formats is a complicated business. The factors include

- the "container" (file type)

- the "codec" (type of compression)

- the "bitrate" (bigger bitrates make bigger files)

If you are making a video to be processed by another app, we'd normally recommend a very high quality setting, which would make huge files. But this would be a waste of time, and  GIF maker would probably not read it. GIF is such a very, very poor quality format that nothing really matters except that the video can be read. GIF is limited to 256 colours which may account for your poor results, but it has the same colour range as any other video.

To make a video that can be read my most consumer apps, I recommend H.264. This happens also to be the video format that is used to put videos on web sites; it makes an .MP4 file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines