Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

View flip upside down

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi~ 

I'm looking for a way to quickly flip a canvas upside down (like the "Flip Horizontal" menu option) 

Tried to record an action with the Rotate View Tool setting it to 180 but the actions are not registered. 

It's hard to research on this because every results tells me how to rotate the image 180 not just the view. (even the virtual assistant i talked to is stomped)

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean flip it vertically as in Edit > Transform > Flip Vertical?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Otnaug 

One thing to note is that the two methods you listed: View > Flip Horizontal and Rotate tool > 180° are non-destructive.

The methods in Edit > Transform should not be used repeatedly.

I don't know of a way to "Flip Vertically" as a View setting, but you never know what our scripters can do unless they tell us. I've added the Scripting tag to your post just in case this can be done with scripting.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! 
I was also really surprised that "rotate view tool" is excluded by the macro/action recorder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Otnaug 

Another surprise (to me) is that creating a Preset is not allowed for the Rotate View tool as it is for most other tools.

You might make a feature request by starting a new post and tagging it as "Ideas" instead of "Discussions" for the product developers to track. Clarify what's been said here across several posts.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Otnaug  on the Action panel flyout menu, select "Allow Tools recording", then rotate the view with the hand. I just tried, and was able to record it, then play it successfully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo thanks, i think with this i'm getting close. Not sure what i'm doing wrong though, but the playback was successful for a few times then it starts to be unreliable --- i.e. i recorded a full 180 rotation, and it works, but maybe the 10th playback it starts to only rotate 145 or 160 or 45. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice one p.c.  I learned something there for myself. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean rotating, you could also do Edit > Transform > Rotate 180°

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no, the Rotate View Tool specifically rotates only the view and not transform the image, which is what edit does. 

Thanks though~ but yea... this misunderstanding is exactly why it's pretty much impossible to find the answer~ it's a super subtle difference that only matters when the files is large with a hundred layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Please also make a feature request thread to get View>Flip Vertical, I'd vote for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

feature request thread is tagging a post as "Idea" or is there another forum? 
Thanks for the help dude 😮 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to Ideas — as in my earlier instructions. Here's a screenshot:

4D60B5E0-6F0C-4AA3-8628-00B3F9A6460B.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane and PE, made an idea post that's hopefully comprehensible enough to be useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Otnaug wrote:

Thanks Jane and PE, made an idea post that's hopefully comprehensible enough to be useful. 

I've upvoted. The link is here for others to do the same:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/view-gt-flip-vertical/idi-p/13572411

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, had missed it in another branch of the discussion, I was trying the action path...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about setting the vertical scale to -100% ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Semaphoric wrote:

How about setting the vertical scale to -100% ?

Hi, the OP said why not earlier in his reply to Myra to see why this won't work. He wants a View setting, not a Transform setting.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines