• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

wacom intuos 4 photoshop cs5... SLOW pen!

Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a blazing fast (dual quadcore, 24gb ram) machine, but I've had nothing but problems with this Intuos pen. If I'm using the brush, it takes forever for the stroke to catch up to the pen, then it has an "hourglass" to calculate the stroke. If I use the Logitech mouse, I have no slowness at all... normal brush stroke. I've got the latest driver, and have "double click" set to off... Any help?? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

studio 3D wrote:

There are rumors that this nVidia card may be a problem! Quadro FX 3800. Switching this out is not so easy! (Latest drivers installed, of course)

That's an awfully expensive card to be giving this kind of trouble.  I sure as heck would get on the phone with nVidia and demand some answers!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

That's an awfully expensive card to be giving this kind of trouble.  I sure as heck would get on the phone with nVidia and demand some answers!

-Noel

No kidding!

But I can't REALLY know if it's the problem unless I swap it out! Not sure how THAT is going to happen... PIA for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem this morning and I think I have a possible solution.  Turn off "Enable OpenGL Drawing"

Preferences>Performance>GPU Setting

I hope this works for you.

Ru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that does help, I really like OpenGL, as I do use it's function

ality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a new development... I turned off one memory hog (Mozilla Firefox) and I got a HUGE increase in response! Not sure yet if it's "normal", but I'm just surprised since I have SO MUCH memory, how could Firefox impact the Wacom? Well, it's a workaround for now, but I sure use my browser a lot... even more than Photoshop! Argh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The browser could be causing an event handling problem, which would cause issues with the tablet events (and redraw events) reaching Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Event handling", eh? Wonder if that's a known issue, and if there's any fix?? I would hate to have to switch browsers, I've got Firefox so tweaked... thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, TRY another browser and see what happens.

Also, are you running any Flash Panels in Photoshop?  Any third party plugins?

This might be something that can be fixed (in FireFox, Wacom drivers, or Photoshop) -- but first we need to narrow it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With IE running, the pen is MUCH better... but if I run Firefox: drag! Thought it might be when Firefox is really chock full (which it often is) but it seems it only has to be running and the pen is adversely affected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, now I've tried without IE and it's running really fast! This is REALLY hard to pinpoint. I'm in Firefox now (just opened) and I tried the pen in Photoshop... started out looking really good. But soon it started to "clog up" again! It's no wonder finding the problem is so frustrating (I really appreciate your help... I NEED this pen~!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Food for thought........

Look at buying a inexpensive laptop to run the internet and such while using the other computer for Photoshop and Wacom. There are laptops out there for around $398.00 to $400.00, maybe less, that work great for reading, surfing, e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Food for thought........

Look at buying a inexpensive laptop to run the internet and such while using the other computer for Photoshop and Wacom. There are laptops out there for around $398.00 to $400.00, maybe less, that work great for reading, surfing, e-mail.

Thanks, but... Well, I've got a dual monitor setup on my desk with wacom and two mice. It really doesn't make sense for me to  buy a laptop, fit it on my crowded desk and run the extra power because my browser conflicts with the tablet! And it sure wouldn't give me the 22" real estate I'm used to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip on the laptop...

but I'm not going to buy anything anymore. Spent a lot of money on CS5 and a new Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it with turning my browser off (chrome) but with negative results. Having this problem still with Indesign and not with Photoshop though.

Will be looking out for possible solutions and will post it here if I find one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that by installing the latest drivers helped me out with this problem, you select your operating system and tablet model. Here's the link http://www.wacom.com/downloads/drivers.php Everything has been solved 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have downloaded the new drivers and installed them. But with no results on our side. Indesign still lags with the intuos4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest drivers for my win7 machine date back to March... I think I mentioned that I'm up to date on drivers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the performance change at all if you close all web browsers, then run Internet Explorer without Add-ons?

To try this, click the Windows 7 Start button, type add-on into the search box, then click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) when it comes up.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With IE and no add-ons, it seems to run well, maybe 80% (as opposed to down to 50% or less with Firefox... hard to quantify).

Even with no browser, it's not 100% (I try to sign my name, for example and the brush always lags behind the tablet pen).

I see there's a new version of Firefox~ (Beta 5, version 4)!

Probably won't help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The presence of other apps simply shouldn't impact drawing speed like that.  The system just doesn't normally load up that way.

Are you drawing with a particularly large brush (e.g., hundreds of pixels wide), and/or fuzzy-edged?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using a particularly large brush, though it usually has a soft edge. THAT can't be it... again, I never had a problem before (with my old Wacom, or with this Intuos4 on my old Dell XP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If any system should be capable of keeping up with a smaller fuzzy-edged brush, it should be yours, and as you point out, it works fast on your other system.

I'm just kind of beating around the bush at this point, and was wondering if perhaps your brush sizes were in the hundreds of pixels in diameter.  At those sizes even a single brush stroke can composite literally millions of pixels.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but it's in Photoshop CS5 64-bit that this problem is surfaced. In the 32-bit version, it does not occur.

I just know that it worked just fine yesterday but today it got to this, again, like it had done once before when I installed the latest drivers from wacom's website. At the moment I run the ones I got from the CD, as they worked better. But now they have this problem as well it seems. I don't know what to do but use the 32 bit version of PS instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if you'd list your OS, TimeLaw.

Also, what video card do you have, and have you updated your display driver?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, fresh install just last week or so. I have the latest drivers for my GPU installed (yesterday).

XFX GeForce GTX 285

But on the other hand it worked with turning of the snap thing, or whatever it's called in english. I just want to know why it has to be like this in the 64 bit version and not the 32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines