• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wallpaper Groups plug in for Photoshop

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a Photoshop Plug In that will let me make a recurring pattern from an image based on the 17 possible 2 dimensional patterns on a planar surface.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Symmetry Fill.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

To make it easier: Winkelmann’s screenshot shows a Script option from the Fill dialog. 

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 16.41.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Creepyman. 

What do you want to use the pattern for, and how much of the original image do you want to keep?

You know about "pattern making" using default Photoshop selection? -> https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-patterns.html

and https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-pattern-using-pattern-maker.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. At one time there was a plug in for photoshop which allowed you to create patterns with these parameters:

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/WallpaperGroups.html

The pattern maker as it is in photoshop is somewhat limited. I was hoping the plug in was still around but I haven't been able to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate? 

Have you checked out the Library Pattern creation freatures (»Create from image«)? 

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 08.46.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. That's very helpful but it limits you to point groups where you are rotating the image around a fixed point, or a simple repetition of the pattern like a p2 symmetry group in the above linked example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, friends. I tracked it down:

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/13366.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate on what kind of pattering you want to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symmetry Fill.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it easier: Winkelmann’s screenshot shows a Script option from the Fill dialog. 

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 16.41.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it was Tom Winkelmann that pointed Scripted Patterns out, I hadn’t thought of it for this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for sharing this! I had no idea photoshop had this tool. I was just trying it out and it's really cool, a great way to experiment quickly with different symmetries. I recently did a personal project where I designed a repeat pattern for each wallpaper group (here's the link if anyone is interested! https://tracyschifeling.wordpress.com/category/wallpaper-groups/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option would be to go to the Adobe Exchange, and download Richard Kain's Wallpaper plugin. It's a great tool for setting up the various tiles so that they tile nicely, whereas Symmetry Fill only tiles with existing patterns .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines