Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warmer colors in Photoshop with Macbook Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!
The problem I'm having is the photos appear in slightly warmer colors than the original image.
So it's not just about exporting, but directly viewing the image.
The same problem happens when using Lightroom.

- Macbook Pro 15 inch from 2015
- macOS Monterey, version 12.6 (latest)
- GP: Intel Iris Pro
- Photoshop version 23.5.1 (latest)
- Lightroom version 5.5 (latest)

The images I am working with have color profile Adobe RGB (1998), my working space is sRGB, when I open the image I select: "keep embedded profile", when exporting I select "Embed color profile" and "Convert to sRGB" .
I state that I have already read the thousands of threads here on the forum, but I cannot solve the problem in any way.
I have tried all the solutions but I don't understand what the cause is, I would like to understand first if it is a "problem", or simply the image is improved.
I did the same test with a windows pc, and the colors are kept the same, even when converted to sRGB.
I leave here 2 screens where you can directly see the difference between the 2 images, where the original is colder, while the open and exported one is warmer. And other screens with working settings.

Thanks to those who can help me!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Yes in this case looks like Preview cannot display colours correctly. I would not use it in the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

I see a tiny visual difference in Preview of the three at 100% zoom. 

In Photoshop, the two JPEGs appear identical. In fact, if I use the Apply Image command to subtract them, they are pixel-for-pixel identical. 

I suppose I could make a screen capture from Preview of the two outlines and provide a deltaE (difference) report, but it's tiny and somewhat insignificant on this end. I don't know why Preview is having this issue, but Apple hasn't been as thorough in dealing with color management issu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog Exactly.
But what I see in Photoshop (starting from the original image itself), match with Export 3 (progressive jpeg), and not only, even with the various browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox), the only one that shows me the difference is Preview Mac. For this reason it is not clear to me who is right and who is not, and how to deal with export.

By @alexsalvatoretrotta

If Photoshop, Preview (Mac), Safari (Mac), and Lightroom (Develop module) all match at the same zoom, they are 'correct' and color-managed. Anything that doesn't match isn't color-managed (correctly or at all). And again, I'd suggest forgetting progressive JPEGs if that's the only outliner in this mismatch. Try TIFF, PSD, JPEG without progressive settings. If all three match in the above-mentioned applications, that's 'correct'.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are virtually identical in my Photoshop 23.5.1 and in my Firefox 105.0.3 (colour managed) on macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). However they are not in Preview 11.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are virtually identical in my Photoshop 23.5.1 and in my Firefox 105.0.3 (colour managed) on macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). However they are not in Preview 11.0.

By @Kenneth Kawamoto

And in Photoshop, at 100% zoom, all three are virtually identical to me. Wide gamut, high bit display path (NEC PA271Q). I see nothing in these three examples that warrant any worry. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog  and @Kenneth Kawamoto, thanks for trying!

@Kenneth Kawamoto we share the fact that the only one showing the color difference on is on Mac Preview.
So it is likely that the display "bug" may be here.

@TheDigitalDog, I understand what you say.
What I mean is just the opposite, that is that what I see in Photoshop from the original image, and the various browsers, is the same as what I see in the progressive jpg file, with Mac preview.
Anyway, when exporting I will avoid the selection on Progressive, so that the exported file is closer to the original one (based on what I see on Mac Preview), and I will let the various applications decide how to display it, since it is not I see another way to understand where the problem may be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes in this case looks like Preview cannot display colours correctly. I would not use it in the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a tiny visual difference in Preview of the three at 100% zoom. 

In Photoshop, the two JPEGs appear identical. In fact, if I use the Apply Image command to subtract them, they are pixel-for-pixel identical. 

I suppose I could make a screen capture from Preview of the two outlines and provide a deltaE (difference) report, but it's tiny and somewhat insignificant on this end. I don't know why Preview is having this issue, but Apple hasn't been as thorough in dealing with color management issues in the past few years, sadly. That Safari and Preview don't match indicates an Apple 'bug' (issue). 

The ColorSync Utility is also an Apple application you can test. It may or may not match Preview, and this CS utility has been even more buggy than others from Apple, so I don't expect good results. 

Bottom line is, Photoshop, Safari, and others are working correctly. And when others (at least Preview) aren't, the visual differences are really tiny. Preview or data? That can be analyzed with some work. But in the end, without Apple making an effort, it's kind of moot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly.

The important thing is that we see the same things, and that Photoshop doesn't see differences in colors.

Thanks for your help and your comments.

I also tried ColorSync, but what I see is identical to Preview.

That said, I will exclude Preview from the workflow and will export to jpg without progressive.

Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines