Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warp and Liquify a MASKED object

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Sorry, this probably gets asked a lot....

We're all used to Warping and Liquifying items in an image.

But...

If that pariticular object in image (let's say a Person) has been and is isolated via Layer Mask, then what is the best practice when it comes to Warp / Liquify distortions?

I ask because clearly, warping and liquifying do not distort any MASK 'in tandem' with the object. Indeed, the manipulated object pretty much instantly disappears OUTSIDE OF the limits of the Mask. That seems strange to me. I guess it is a hell of a lot to ask (the Mask might well be really complex and soft-edged) but surely in an ideal world, Masks and Masked objects should change TOGETHER 'in real time'?!

It's obviously impractical to keep discarding careful Masks every time I want to distort an item.

Thanks!

Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

I should add that the image plus the layer mask also can be modified together with warp if you make that layer a Smart Object first too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

@Jana Plavec 

By "that option", do you mean you are trying to convert the layer to a Smart Object? Don't right-click the mask itself — move a little further to the right.

You will get different options depending on exactly where your mouse is when you right-click, so move it to the right or left on the layer until you get the context-sensitive menu you are looking for.

Show a screenshot if you can't find it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the link between the thumbnail and the layer mask visible? If they're linked and you apply warp, then the image plus the mask get warped.

If you'd like the image and the layer mask to get modified together when you use Liquify, then convert the layer into a Smart Object first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that the image plus the layer mask also can be modified together with warp if you make that layer a Smart Object first too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Myra - I will be trying out those techniques and instructions later and will let you know how I get on!

Best

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to do it? PS doesn't give me that option by right mouse button clicking by the layer mask (I need to liquify the mask together with the image). Thank you for helping me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jana Plavec 

By "that option", do you mean you are trying to convert the layer to a Smart Object? Don't right-click the mask itself — move a little further to the right.

You will get different options depending on exactly where your mouse is when you right-click, so move it to the right or left on the layer until you get the context-sensitive menu you are looking for.

Show a screenshot if you can't find it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you are right, it works! And the way back to the mask? Thank you for the incredibly quick answer, I am amazed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the incredibly quick answer, I am amazed.

By @Jana Plavec

You're welcome @Jana Plavec ðŸ˜Š and I'm glad it's working for you now!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the layer in the Layers panel that has the content and the layer mask.
  2. Right-click and select Convert to Smart Object or go the Layer menu above the canvas and select Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object.
  3. Apply Liquify or Warp to the Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Myra!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're very welcome! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines