• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Watercolor Artist Action Set from Adobe Create Magazine?

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work for anyone (Watercolor Artist Action Set from Adobe Create Magazine.zip) with Adobe Photoshop 2021? It would be an amazing action set to have, but it just errors out saying "Could not rasterize because the selected pattern is not available." and that a bunch of the actions just don't work or aren't available.

This would be so cute and useful... if it ever worked. THe original article outlining the steps of how to use it is here Transform Photos into Watercolors with a Free Photoshop Action.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

OMG folks. Okay. SO OF COURSE, as soon as I posted this, I discovered the steps for Adobe Photoshop 2020:

* If you are running Adobe Photoshop 2020, please use this updated installation guide. (Direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62ualeqm3xf6hyw/Watercolor%20Artist%20-%20Guide%202020%20Update.pdf?dl=0)

So. I installed as per this documentation on Adobe Photoshop 2021, used a 3000 pixel image, and it took a good 5 mins on my laptop, in order to complete, but this Action Set works. And I quite s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG folks. Okay. SO OF COURSE, as soon as I posted this, I discovered the steps for Adobe Photoshop 2020:

* If you are running Adobe Photoshop 2020, please use this updated installation guide. (Direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62ualeqm3xf6hyw/Watercolor%20Artist%20-%20Guide%202020%20Update.pdf?dl=0)

So. I installed as per this documentation on Adobe Photoshop 2021, used a 3000 pixel image, and it took a good 5 mins on my laptop, in order to complete, but this Action Set works. And I quite seriously got the shakes somewhere in the middle there -- not gonna lie -- because it works so well. The output, given a photo with good dark and light values, is ridiculously beautiful.

Charles Purdy, wherever you are: Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These links no longer work. Please update them so they don't dead end. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Updated Watercolor Artist Action Set from Adobe Create Magazine
https://assets.adobe.com/public/c942ff9a-6c74-4437-5b2f-9f3592f4c1e1

I uploaded my successful result of running the action. It takes quite a long time to run. I use Photoshop CC 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! THIS is the answer everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is dead now.  They sure don't make it easy for us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the original link to the Watercolor Artist Action. This is a
Photoshop action and may not work in Photoshop Elements.
https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/discover/article/transform-photos-into-watercolors-with-a-free-ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in need of the updated links for this action, please. Is anyone able to help with this?

I would really appreciate it!

Thank you ahead of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is the original link that was posted from Adobe Create Magazine. Scroll down at that page to find where the Download link to the updated action files were added. There is also a video and written instructions on that page . There are 3 files in the download you need to install - the Action file (ATN), the Brushes file (ABR) and the Pattern file (PAT). In the most recent versions of  Photoshop CC, the easiest way to install those is to double-click on each of those 3 files. To see that they have been installed, check their respective Photoshop panels. There is an image of PS screenshots below. 
https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/discover/article/transform-photos-into-watercolors-with-a-free-ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this does not work either.  With zero help from Adobe,  install directions that are incorrect and work aroounds that do nothing, it's time to give up.  I think 3 years is long enough to kick a dead horse.  It used to be awesome.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting  Could not rasterize because the selected pattern is not available. error message every time I ran the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed that by Manually installing everything, import the Brushes in the Brush menu and install the Patterns in the Patterns menu. Adobe mess around with the Preset Manager.  Besides that everything in the guide works the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a little more detail as to how you "manually install everything"? Thanks; I'm trying to run a much-vaunted Painterly Brushes Action and PS is giving me the same error: "Could not rasterize because the selected pattern is not available." What pattern would this be and how do I install it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can automatically install the action file (atn), brush file (abr), and the pattern file (pat) by double-clicking on each one. Then go to the Brush tool, click on the brush picker and scroll all the way to the bottom, and you'll find the newly installed brushes. To view the newly installed patterns and action, in the Window menu, click Patterns and Actions to open those panels.
Make sure you have the most recent update to the Action files. There is a set of instructions in the Download, but ignore the instructions to use the preset manager (Adobe changed that in the most recent versions), just install the files by double-clicking. If you can't find a link amongst all these posts, try this one: one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/odxnppvh7zgmyvz/AADFrWHbRcfzrLvOPpn-08Vda?dl=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a godsend for sharing these links!  Thanks so much.  I was able to install and it worked like a charm *yay*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syreetap47320604
I'm so glad I was able to help and it worked for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a problem with the old action files (action just hangs midway) AND the updated files were missing from Adobe. So cool of you to have provided them separately on dropbox and now it works like a charm! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im running Photoshop 25.5 and the action is still not running smoothly. can you confirm the action is able to run on this version_

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running PS 2022 and getting the same error. Does anybody have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully ran the Watercolor Artist - Photoshop Action Set with no error messages popping up. It takes quite a long time to run. When finished, the resulting image has a long stack of layers which can be used to adjust the image, background paper, and effects. I attached a screenshot of my image, along with part of the layer stack, below. It was too long to include it all. Go to the link I posted in my previous message to you, above, and download the most recent update of the Watercolor Artist - Photoshop Action Set, including the instructions. The preparatory steps before running the action are important to get it to run smoothly. One error I see a lot is the instructions say to create a new blank layer above the image and name it "focus" That has to be in all lower case with no quotes. If you capitalize focus, or use the quotes shown in the instructions, the action will not recognize that layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process of creating the "focus" layer has already been included as a script (  1) SETUP  ) to automatically set up that layer, select a brush with an overlay color, and a transparency setting (which I personally readjust to 60%). It is on this layer that one "paints" the object to appear as a watercolor (which is later used as a selection template), while surrounding area is later revealed as pencil sketch effect. Personally I disable the masks of the 3 pencil sketch effects, readjust their opacities to 100% and then use a brush,set to about 10% opacity, and paint within their respective masks to hide/reveal the pencil sketchings as I choose.

watercolorartistscripts.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Second Action hangs for many users  when player in 22.0 and 22.0.1  in one  of the Actions invert step. You can break out it the hang using ESC key.  There seem to be some issue in Photoshop version 2021 with that Action.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been able to have it finish a run when using PS 2021.  The ESC key does not break it out of the hang.  I must force quit PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've messaged the author of the actions, Nuwan Panditha (Milan), and I will report back once I get his reply. I'm running 22.2.0 and the same thing happens to me:  hangs in the second action, at 'Back Filling' step. Pressing ESC multiple times did manage to break the loop, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines