• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Watercolor Artist Action Set from Adobe Create Magazine?

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work for anyone (Watercolor Artist Action Set from Adobe Create Magazine.zip) with Adobe Photoshop 2021? It would be an amazing action set to have, but it just errors out saying "Could not rasterize because the selected pattern is not available." and that a bunch of the actions just don't work or aren't available.

This would be so cute and useful... if it ever worked. THe original article outlining the steps of how to use it is here Transform Photos into Watercolors with a Free Photoshop Action.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

OMG folks. Okay. SO OF COURSE, as soon as I posted this, I discovered the steps for Adobe Photoshop 2020:

* If you are running Adobe Photoshop 2020, please use this updated installation guide. (Direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62ualeqm3xf6hyw/Watercolor%20Artist%20-%20Guide%202020%20Update.pdf?dl=0)

So. I installed as per this documentation on Adobe Photoshop 2021, used a 3000 pixel image, and it took a good 5 mins on my laptop, in order to complete, but this Action Set works. And I quite s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fix for this yet?  Is the author of the action still available?  It would be a shame to loose this fantastic watercolor action!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And it all comes down to a RTFM error that I and many others all made.

Nuwan Panditha (Action set creator) sent me this link to the instructions page/manual:

Trasforma le foto in acquerelli con un’azione gratuita di Photoshop.

Yeah, I know -- didn't work, right? But note in the text just above the still life painting near the top a second link for the updated Action Set for this, which is: Watercolor Action PS 22

I tried it and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks broacher,

After 3 downloads I finally got it to work.

Ran the action on a small psd file of 3000 px

Then tried it on a larger psd file of 4800 x 7200 px and it worked.

Hope it works again for me.

Thanks again for posting the info to get this neat action to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Watercolour action for the first time and it worked perfectly. The second time when I click on "Setup" I get an error message "The command Select is not currently available" I then click continue and it creates the focus mask as in the instructions. I then click the Watercolour Artist link and it starts to process the image but then stops after a few seconds with a message "Could not rasterize because selected panel is not available. I am new to photoshop and have read through the insructions but cannot find what the problem is. Any help would be apreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found out the problem by looking at the video tutorial. I had reinstalled the actions but hadn't added the brushes and patterns so that is where the problem was. The only issue now is after the watercolour process is complete it looks as if it is causing my PC to buffer. I have just upgraded to a high spec PC so it cant be a hardware issue surely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please link us to that video tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add: If you have an All Apps plan, Adobe Fresco is part of that. (It doesn't transform images into watercolors (sort of); you have to do the heavy lifting yourself, but you can import images to use as a basis on another layer or convert the image into a pixel layer and do some watercolor jiu-jitsu that way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running PS 23.1.0 and I can't seem to get the action working after many attempts.  Hopefully Nuwan Panditha will come to our rescue and modify the action so that is is more workable on the various versions of PS. If anybody has any further suggestions, I would appreciate hearing of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to run the Watercolor Artist Action Set without an error message in Photoshop CC 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi C0untryg1rl, I have Photoshop 25. I tried with the files from your link and it didn't come out corectly. I got tons of error messages:

• The command "Smooth" is not currently available.
  • The command "Make" is not currently available.
  • The command "Delete" is not currently available.
  • The command "Contract" is not currently available.
  • The command "Expand" is not currently available.
  • The command "Stroke" is not currently available.
  • The command "Delete" is not currently available.

hotmesswatercolor.png

The end result is not exactly what I had intended

original image source: Adobe Stock 48640867

So, not sure what version of PS this action was created for, but it isn't working with 25.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issues...hope there is an update soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cader wrote:

... but then stops after a few seconds with a message "Could not rasterize because selected panel is not available.

The error message you posted says "pattern", not panel. Is the action looking for a pattern with a specific name? Is it a pattern you created? If so, double-check the spelling.

8BC346B4-FD14-4703-A9B0-6F59877A4229.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted all the old action, pattern and brush files associated with the watercolor artist action and reinstalled them using the current links to the files on the adobe site and I'm still getting the same error showing "could not raterize because the selected pattern is not available."  I assume it's looking for patterns that come with the Watercolor Artist - patterns.pat, not anything else.  Those patterns are loaded and it still doesn't work so where do we go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the author is not responding, it may be time to move on. Some alternatives are Adobe's own Fresco or ArtRage Vitae. (Both solutions are obviously not like the action and will require heavy lifting on your part (mainly to get to know their UIs), but they both produce great results.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. It cannot find the correct pattern. I have loaded the patterns that come with the Watercolor Artist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac Studio with the latest version of the OS. Parts of the action work, but most do not. This actions looks like it could produce some good results, but as it is, it is worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - so many of the commands can't be found so it creates a dark artistic image - really disappointed as I think it would look amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to edit this action to make it work for Photoshop 2022. I have attached two screenshots. There is a step in the action that says "Select and Mask" (screenshot shows surrounding steps so you can find it - it's fairly close to the end of the action).  Double click on it to edit that step. For Refine Mode select "Object Aware" instead of "Color Aware." Click OK. So far it's working fine for me now. I love using this action. Glad to have it working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your fix! It worked for me also. The only difference is that the "Select and Mask" option was almost at the top of the list instead of near the bottom where yours was. So strange. And I found exactly where yours was but it wasn't there for me. For some reason it was somewhere else. Hopefully it continues to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad it's working for you. It's still working fine for me also. I'm guessing we might have different versions somehow which is why the step is in a different place? In any case, I'm glad this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This action won't work in Photoshop 24.1 although it has just been promoted by Adobe in an email. I tried to follow your edits but please explain what you mean by edit the 'Select and Mask' step. Also, I have found two of these steps so assume they both need editing. Further, I can't find access in Photoshop 24.1 to the Refine Mode in your screenshot, please explain how to do so. Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop version 23.5.3 so maybe things are different than your version. These are the notes I posted before. When you find the Select and Mask step in the Action (using the screenshot I posted to see where it is near the end of the action), then you double-click on that step to be able to edit it. A box will open once you've double-clicked on it. In that box for Refine Mode select "Object Aware" instead of "Color Aware." Click OK. I only had to do this in one place and it's been working fine for me. Hope that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply. I made the edit suggested and the action
continued for longer but there were many stoppages because something was
missing, not available or could not rasterize. After wasting a lot of
time I will look for an alternative action as there are many available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great find, Laurel! I was almost about to give up on the action but this edit has done the trick. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad this worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines