WebP and Photoshop 23.4.1 Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned that WebP is now supposed to be a built-in option for saving images in Photoshop, but running the latest version (23.4.1) on my MBP (MacOS 12.4 with M1 Pro chip) doesn't have WebP as an option in the file format drop-down box when saving/save as. I can't see a preference to enable it. What am I missing?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

WebP should be available in File > Save As if the document is RGB and a single flattened (Background) layer.

If any of those things is not true, WebP can’t save it as is because WebP doesn’t support things like layers or non-RGB* colors, so you must instead choose File > Save a Copy (or click the Save a Copy button in the Save As dialog box.) WebP will be a choice in the Save a Copy dialog box, and choosing WebP will deselect the Layers option.

*If the document isn’t in RGB color mode, then

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP should be available in File > Save As if the document is RGB and a single flattened (Background) layer.

If any of those things is not true, WebP can’t save it as is because WebP doesn’t support things like layers or non-RGB* colors, so you must instead choose File > Save a Copy (or click the Save a Copy button in the Save As dialog box.) WebP will be a choice in the Save a Copy dialog box, and choosing WebP will deselect the Layers option.

*If the document isn’t in RGB color mode, then to make WebP available you have to take an additional step of choosing Image > Mode > RGB Color before choosing File > Save a Copy.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that was it. I was working on a 16-bit grayscale image. Switching it to 8-bit RGB made WebP magically appear! Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines