• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird color change in layer… never have I had such a weird glitch

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone else has seen this. I was working in photoshop--I edit paper sculptures, so I had a layer for the sky that I made rather vibrant cyan. And in my workspace all looked well. I had many many layers. So I made a copy as a jpg and when I opened it up in photoshop, the cyan layer was almost fluorescent! And sure enough, even though in my workspace, the layer in my psd looked fine, I noticed the thumbnail in the layer window looked very bright. And when I closed the psd and reopened it, it was also fluorescent! Any ideas? Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! If you're able to move it for me, I would be so grateful! It's my first time here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A jpeg is in RGB colour mode. When you saved the jpeg how did you do it (Save a Copy or Export)? Did you ensure that the jpeg was converted to an RGB profile such as sRGB and that the profile was embedded within the jpeg file?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for commenting. Yes. I did. I save tons of jpgs everyday and never had this happen. And my images are all in RGB mode. But even the layer in my psd was altered when I closed it and opened it up again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry--but can you explain what you mean or how to change status bar? I'm a beginner here. And sadly I was so freaked out, I hurried and threw the layer away and fixed it before taking a screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding StatusBar: statusBar.jpg

RGB is a Color Mode, so that says little about the Color Space (as described by the ICC profile). 

What are Photoshop’s Edit > Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok. Sorry to be such a beginner at this stuff! 

975C85A7-86CE-4A37-B54D-9D5643324D19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and welcome, @jessicalaurelkane @Don't worry, we all made our first steps one day! Thank you for that capture, it seems that the one with the offending document,  and its status bar set to document profile did not make it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! I'm slow at understanding! Here it is... 

3203EEFE-E861-48E5-8372-4A1CBB283D3C.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s a display profile – is that a screenshot? 

Is that the file that appears as intended or the strange one? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a screenshot of what it says when I select document profile. Is that what you meant? And yes that's the file that had the trouble. I was able to fix the layer by lowering the saturation, etc. and the file seems fine now. But I wish I knew what happened so I can be sure it won't happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is common for Mac OS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jessicalaurelkane wrote:

Maybe this is common for Mac OS? 

No. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was referring the the image you have opened in Photoshop. 

Where did that originate? 

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org

Please post meaningful screenshots (not photographs of the screen) that include the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should stop editing  the file!

if you do, save it under another name, somehow, you used the wrong profile when saving, I think that you need to assign the correct one, but I'll wait on c. First

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if you are on a Mac hit CMD+Shift+3 to save an image on the desktop, on a Pc, do Alt+print screen and paste the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christoph, I see lots of Mac people using Display P3 as a standard color space nowadays. In this incarnation it's a display profile, but the Photoshop variety, Image P3, is identical. Both are sRGB with P3 primaries.

I think this sounds like a GPU bug.

Given that P3 is a wide gamut color space, if this was broken color management it would dipslay desaturated if anything. But in most circumstances, on a Mac, it should just display roughly right.

But just to do it right, if this file is going to be used externally, convert to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. While P3 is widely used in the Mac community, it isn't outside it.

Just for diagnostic purposes, try to disable GPU in Photoshop preferences and see if things behave more normally. Then narrow it down by checking "deactivate native canvas" (reverting to legacy GPU code) and perhaps also try "older GPU mode".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Everything is behaving normally now. I just wish I knew what might have happened. It was just with that one layer. I had messed with it a lot. It was very saturated cyan that turned ridiculously saturated. And I did notice that the thumbnail in the 'layers menu' was displaying the fluorescent color, but in the workspace, for whatever reason, it wasn't. Not until I reopened the file. Then the workspace was displaying the awful color properly. It was like I kept adjusting the color based on the workspace image but it only changed the appearance in the thumbnail. Have you ever heard of this happening? That the workspace image doesn't load?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines