• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird Response to Keyboard Tool Shortcuts

Participant ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the latest version of Photoshop on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine and am getting weird actions from keyboard tool shortcuts.

If, say, I just quickly press B for brush, the tool doesn't change but there is something going on where the word Normal in the Mode field gets larger and covers the word Mode, but the tool doesn't change. If I hold the B key down it turns into a brush tool but goes back to the original tool as soon as I let go of the key. Oddly, I noticed today that if I tap the shortcut key twice in rapid succession (has to be rapid) the tool does change as expected

Any ideas as to what the issue might be? Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

YES!!!! And just recently in fact, after months of frustration. Turned out to be a simple Photoshop Preference issue. Go to Preferences>Tools and see if 'Spring Loaded Tool Shortcuts' is checked. When I updated at some point, this apparently became checked by default. If yours is checked, just uncheck it and see if it fixes your issue. It did for me!

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that if I left click on the tool in the Photoshop Tools Pallete the tool changes appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having very similar issues, if I press and hold a shortcut key, it will change to the proper tool (brush, stamp, etc.) but it will switch back to the old tool as soon as I release the key. sometimes hitting the escape key first will fix the problem, but that is working less and less. And I can select the tool with the mouse in the panel normally. Were you able to fix your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the tools and/or preferences.
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!! And just recently in fact, after months of frustration. Turned out to be a simple Photoshop Preference issue. Go to Preferences>Tools and see if 'Spring Loaded Tool Shortcuts' is checked. When I updated at some point, this apparently became checked by default. If yours is checked, just uncheck it and see if it fixes your issue. It did for me!

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines