• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is native canvas and what happens when I disable it?

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled it to see if it will fix a dual display issue I'm having, but I'm curious to know what it actually does. Anyone know?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

As I understand it, "native canvas" means what you see on screen is rendered using OS-native APIs, i.e. Metal on Mac, DirectX on Windows.

Disabling it means reverting to the old OpenGL APIs.

OpenGL is no longer supported by Apple and Microsoft, hence the entire GPU code is in the process of being migrated. That's a big undertaking and predictably a rather bumpy ride. Glitches and bugs will happen.

Once it's all done and thoroughly tried and tested, the "disable native canvas" checkbox will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I'm still not sure what it doesn't after reading it. Looks like it has something to do with 3D in PS. I disabled it in hopes that my mac stops getting a green screen after hours of working with two monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/what-is-native-canvas/td-p/12572953

It's legacy behavior that is going away.

Greens screen, can you tell  us more or provide a screen capture?

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using a 27" 2020 imac with a second display. It seems that when I've been using photoshop for an extended period my whole system freezes. My second monitor goes green and my imac goes black. I suspect my graphics card might be wigging out so I found this workaround. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

It mentions disabling native canvas. I still need more time to see if this is the fix, but wasn't sure what I was losing by turning it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, "native canvas" means what you see on screen is rendered using OS-native APIs, i.e. Metal on Mac, DirectX on Windows.

Disabling it means reverting to the old OpenGL APIs.

OpenGL is no longer supported by Apple and Microsoft, hence the entire GPU code is in the process of being migrated. That's a big undertaking and predictably a rather bumpy ride. Glitches and bugs will happen.

Once it's all done and thoroughly tried and tested, the "disable native canvas" checkbox will be removed. In the meantime, it's important that any problems are reported under the "Bugs" subsection. If checking the box makes the problem go away, it needs to be fixed permanently.

Unless I misunderstood the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I keep wondering is whether Native Canvas has a performance advantage to OpenGL. Intuitively, I would think so, but its hard to find anything definitive. Like, do brushes work better / smoother with less latency? Procreate and Fresco on iPad Pros both have really fantastic latency because the drawing / input rendering is always done with Metal on the native level. Does Native Canvas improve pen input on a desktop machine by removing a step and using the native API? I've noticed that for the last several versions of Photoshop, the latency and fluidity of using brushes has improved and is now comparable to Fresco, at least in comparison to the desktop version on my Surface. Is this the result of Native Canvas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What it does (or doesn't) do and why you'd disable it:

NativeCanvas.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you disable native canvas photoshop goes back to functioning properly without glitches and bugs.

It should be a beta only feature reserved to betatesters but godknowswhy they impose it on paying costumers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you disable native canvas photoshop goes back to functioning properly without glitches and bugs.

It should be a beta only feature reserved to betatesters but godknowswhy they impose it on paying costumers.

By @eiapoce

Odd; I have the option OFF (I'm not using Native Canvas) and there are zero issues and greater speed; care to explain that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is to explain? Leave it off - it's better this way.

E.G. I can't batch process more than 5 pictures at a time when that crap is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is to explain? Leave it off - it's better this way.

By @eiapoce

For you, not everyone! Hence the option.

As for explaining; done last year. Long before you arrived.

As to you answering my specific question addressed to you, not done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines