• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what is the correct safest file size set up for designed images/logos in photoshop

Engaged ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community.

I'd like to understand regarding file size set up, if I am to design a logo or enhance a logo/image in PS. For example if I am to design a logo in Illustrator or 3D software, as vector or PNG, and import it into PS, I know for printing it has to be 300DPI Cmyk, but how about the file dimensions which would be enough for large scale printing, that would look crisp and not pixellated.

Thank you

StefanCargoski_3-1658127284469.png

StefanCargoski_1-1658127102186.pngStefanCargoski_2-1658127140246.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

1000px at 300ppi is less than 10cm, so that would seem far from sufficient for the plausible uses. 

I recommend you work at least in A3. 

And consider that if you keep the vector objects as Shape Layers with Vector Masks or Vector Smart Objects they would scale up just fine if needed. (Though Vector Smart Objects would not produce vector output.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For printed material that is to be viewed up to arm’s length (books, magazines etc.) an Effective Resolution of (edit: at least) 300ppi is desirable. 

For material that is to be viewed at higher distances a lower Effective Resolution suffices. 

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/resolution/1_which_resolution_print_size_viewi...

But why do you open the Illustrator file in Photoshop at all? 

What are the Document Raster Effects Settings of the ai-file (if it contains Raster Effects like Gaussian Blur for example)? 

Any why not place it as a Vector Smart Object? 

Edit: And as for CMYK – which CMYK Space? 

If he image is likely to be printed in several different CMYK Spaces keeping it as RGB might be advisable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken regarding printing 300ppi Cmyk for close prints. These types of logos are designed from scratch, vector but also enhanced with refelctions in PS, or some logos are desinged in 3D software. so I want to be safe to know what document size would be future proof, if I'm asked for exmaple: Now Ill need my logo, for a billboard banner, A poster A1 size, or vinyl decal.  so If I make a document 1000 x 1000 pixels, 300ppi, would it be enough to use it for vinly print, which people would see from close up? Or do I need to design the logo in a  document 5000px X 5000px 300ppi to be able to scale it in a A1 poster size print? 

StefanCargoski_0-1658136592891.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1000px at 300ppi is less than 10cm, so that would seem far from sufficient for the plausible uses. 

I recommend you work at least in A3. 

And consider that if you keep the vector objects as Shape Layers with Vector Masks or Vector Smart Objects they would scale up just fine if needed. (Though Vector Smart Objects would not produce vector output.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, thanks for your information, I'll keep in mind the sweet spot is A3 for logos to be designed.

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about the file dimensions which would be enough for large scale printing, that would look crisp and not pixellated.

Depends on what you mean by that. Large billboards are a different thing from detailed decorations on a readable tradeshow poster or a reproduction of an art piece for an exhibition. You need to be more specific what you actually want to do.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines