• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's wrong with the "show background" option of the liquify filter?

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2024 Jul 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone and sorry for the crazy title haha. I don't undertand the behaviour of the liquify filter "show background" option.

Let's say I have a smart object. I apply the liquify filter and I can switch from the original image and the modfied one with the option. So far so good, but when I confirm my edits and I open the filter again for further editing, the "show background" option doesn't work anymore, so I can't see the original image.

Fine! So, I duplicate the modified layer removing the filter and now I have the modified layer and a copy without the effect. I open the filter again and surprise, the "show background" option works again EVEN IF I choose to use the modified layer from the dropdown menu instead of the copy one.

At first I thought ok, once I apply the effect the edits become somehow permanent so I can't switch to the original image anymore (clearly I'm talking about the showing option, we all know a smart filter is a non destructive edit), but then... why can I do this only if I duplicate the layer? I mean, once again, I make a copy on purpose, and then I discover BOTH LAYERS WORK to see the original image, no matter which one I choose.

So... can someone kindly explain this to me? Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I follow; please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make it even easier. I create a smart object, I apply the filter, I can use the option. I apply my edits, I reopen the filter, and the option doesn't show the original image anymore.

I also tried to create other layers, randomly, and doing so if I reopen the filter the option works again. So, it's like having more layers (even just one more) allows the smart object to retrieve the original image data. It's kind of weird right? Here are the screens.

After applying my edits once I reopen the filterAfter applying my edits once I reopen the filter

After creating an empty layer I can see the original image again, and layer 0 is the smart object nameAfter creating an empty layer I can see the original image again, and layer 0 is the smart object name

Thank you very much for the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify. 

All Layers appear in the list here. 

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 08.08.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my first screen, even if not visible in the image, there's only the smart object layer with the filter applied. In the second screen instead, there's the smart object (layer 0) and an empty layer (layer 1). 

You should do as I did in my first screen. You should have only the smart object layer in the palette and reopen the filter once you apply the edits to see if you're able to see the original image.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the requested screenshots. 

»You should have only the smart object layer in the palette and reopen the filter once you apply the edits to see if you're able to see the original image.«

If there is only the Smart Object and no other Layers then obviously no other Layers should be available in »Show Backdrop«, so I am not sure I understand what the problem is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok take a look a the screens below and read the captions please.

After applying the filter. Edits still not confirmed.After applying the filter. Edits still not confirmed.

After confirming the edits. Same situation, but no possibility to see the original image anymore.After confirming the edits. Same situation, but no possibility to see the original image anymore.

After creating a new layer. Now the original image is visible again.After creating a new layer. Now the original image is visible again.

Why do I have to create a random layer, or duplicate the smart obect, to be able to see the original image again?

I hope all the panels you need are visible. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do I have to create a random layer, or duplicate the smart obect, to be able to see the original image again?

Sorry, I had overlooked that post of yours.

When there is only one Layer there is no point in listing the »Layers«. 

And it appears one can overlay the unedited image just fine even with only one Layer. 

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 08.27.06.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 08.27.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok wait a sec... How can you see the original image once you reopen the filter after applying the edits? It's not my case and infact I posted various screenshots 😐 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I myself occluded the Layers Panel in my screenshots so I am sorry that I have to assume I made a mistake (either in the sequence of operations or the layering) because I cannot reproduce it now. 

Your principal observation (the unliquified layer being available in the Liquify dialog only in the presence of a second layer) seems to be correct indeed. 

So to compare with the completely unliquified original (temporarily, tough, not as an overlay) I suspect unchecking Preview would be an option. 

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 17.38.42.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 17.38.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now it's clear. Thank you very much for the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this qualifies at least as »unexpected behaviour«, so you may want to post a Bug Report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first apply the Liquify filter to a Smart Object, you can switch between the original and edited versions using the "Show Background" option. But once you apply the filter and reopen it, the "Show Background" option stops working, and you can't see the original image. However, if you duplicate the layer and remove the filter from one copy, suddenly, both layers let you see the original image through the "Show Background" option, even if you choose the modified layer from the dropdown. It seems like duplicating the layer somehow resets or refreshes the way the filter displays the original image, allowing you to toggle between versions again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's kind of weird to me but hey, we're
talking about a software algorithm right? So no "concrete" explanation, but
just a Photoshop way to handle things... Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I cannot reproduce that behaviour – if there is only one Layer obviously no other Layers are available including when initially applying the Filter (see screenshots). 

Can somebody please post screenshots that illustrate the issue meaningfully

Edit: Sorry, I overlooked a post. 

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 08.20.08.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 08.20.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines