• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What would cause my preferences to disappear?

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the second time in as many weeks, when I launch PS2023 all of my preferences are gone. What could be causing this issue???

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Restart your computer.

2. Go to Windows Start Menu.

3. Right-click on PS 2023 icon.

4. Select More > Run as Administrator.

NOTE: If Windows prompts for permission to edit files, select YES.   That's the UAC (user account control) doing it's normal thing. 

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how starting as Administrator is going to get all my preferences back. Isn't there some way to store all these on the cloud so that this issue doesn't happen in the first place? My only solution is to retrieve my backups and replace the Adobe folder(s) to get the settings back. I don't know why I am suddenly lossing the entire workspace twice in two weeks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also. could you tell the specific Windows folder I need to get from my online backups to replace all the preferences and settings??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop preference file functions, names, locations (adobe.com)

Could be a permissions issue, but that does not generally happen with Windows.  I only have a moment, but I am sure someone else will be along

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm sorry, but I fail to see how starting as Administrator is going to get all my preferences back."

============

Did you try it?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sometimes happens with Windows are buggy user definitions. I had that once on my Windows 7 workstation. The solution was to simply create a new user from scratch. You will need to restore the standard Windows directories, like the document folder and you may experience rights issues on old files. 

If it is something like this, Windows is the culprit, not Photoshop.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After further digging, here is what is going on. I was suddenly launching the 2022 version...for which all my settings (plugins, actions, brushes etc) are all gone. However, when I manually launch 2023, all of my workspace items are in place as they should be. I guess what I most need to know is where in Windows this is stored and--can I store this in the cloud so I could retrienve just in case of another messup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines