• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I open more than 50 images in photoshop 2022 the photoshop behaviour is changed

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ashike.iqbal 

I am guessing that this may be due to a lack of resources. Each open image uses memory, so it is generally best to keep open images down to a minimum, particularly so if the images are large and consume more memory.

Perhaps resetting preferences may help, but I don't know why it would.

You could also see if this issue is resolved by either disabling various graphics processor preference settings or the entire graphics processor and or disabling the native canvas setting in technology preview prefs.

I don't have any first-hand experience of this issue so I'm only guessing, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think Stephen has the right answer. If these are "normal"-sized images, this will quickly eat up both system RAM and video RAM, and then it will go to scratch disk and system pagefile. If you also ran out of scratch disk space, Photoshop would probably shut down at that point.

Open Task Manager to see what's going on, and monitor memory usage (both system and VRAM). Here's VRAM:

VRAM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why are you opening so many files at once?

Is it just easier to open up an entire project folder of files, then when you have saved and closed each one of them you know that the project is finished?

If so, why can't you open smaller batches of images, only 5 or 10 at a time instead of 50 and look at modified dates? When saving, a Photoshop script could embed metadata to show that you had completed a file (text, Bridge label, star rating etc).

I remember a commercial script that would "target" a selected folder full of images, then it would open one image at time, when the currently open image was closed, the script would then open the next image etc (I can't recall if this was automated or manually triggered by some event). I can't recall the name of the script, but if I do I'll update this post.

EDIT: Here it is – https://www.photoshoptools.ca/photo-workflow/autoloader/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case that the images need to be evaluated »side-by-side« to make sure they provide a uniform appearance (in some respects at least) one could use one »container«-file, place all the other files as Linked Smart Objects and arrange them there. 

Opening and saving/closing the Linked Smart Objects would take a bit each time, but it might alleviate the GPU/Scratch Disk-demands while still being able to view a bunch of images at once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines