• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I paste an image in photoshop, its quality goes so bad!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I paste an image or drag and drop it to my photoshop document, the image resolution goes so bad.

What should I do to keep the quality of an image that I want to edit/draw on in photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saying "The resolution goes bad" doesn't tell us anything. Could you post  some before and after pics? And are you viewing them at 100% in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the pixel dimensions of the Photoshop document? What is the pixel dimension of the image you are pasting into it? Which is going bad, the image in the original Photoshop document, or the one you are placing into it? Is this a problem with a specific document, or does it happen with everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will not apply if you really are pasting into the target image, but if you are pasting, and these Preference settings are checked (which I think is the default), then it could be that the pixel size of the source image is way too small. 

If you are sourcing your images from Google, are you making use of the Size filter?  You can go right up to 9000 pixels on the long side with 'Larger than...'  It is important that you chose appropriate sizes when introducing new image elements.

There is actually a useful side benefit of searching for large pixel sizes.  It gets you past all the watermarked stock images that fill the first several pages, and it is obviously better to work with larger images from the point of view of making selections etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me as well! I notice it most when I take screen shots. If I paste the screen shot into a more simple program like Paint or Powerpoint, the "quality" is preserved. But when I paste into a new Photoshop file it tends to loose quality, by which I mean that text is too blurry to read. 

The below Huntington lake map was pasted into Paint. You can easily read all the road names. (I'm not sure if this will transfer well to inserting into a post, but hopefully you can tell the difference). This image is 396KB, 1904x1062pixels, 96dpi.

sierra nf_ huntington lake mvum closeup real.jpg

This Dinkey Creek Road map is 2 screenshots (the road runs over two maps) pasted into a blank document in Photoshop so I could line them up and create a single continuous map of the whole road. The "quality" is so low I can't read any of the road names and can barely distinguish the line pattern types to see what kind of road it is. This image is 413KB, 1252x770pixels, 72dpi.

sierra nf_dinkey creek rd.jpg

Here is a close up section of the same Dinkey Creek Rd map. This file is 195KB, 837x588pixels, 72dpi.

sierra nf_dinkey creek rd closeup 72dpi.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I'll attach screenshots.  An image draged into Word looks fine.  If I copy it in Word, create a new file in Photoshop, and paste it in, it looses resolution.  Dramatically.  If I resize the Photoshop image to 4X the dpi and paste again it makes no difference.  Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those screenshots say absolutely nothing without any kind of context. Where are they from, what application, how did you make them? What do you mean, exactly, when you say "resolution"? What's wrong here?

The only thing I can make out of this is that the last one appears to have been massively scaled up/resampled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than copy pasting the image try placing it as an embedded image then photoshop will automatically convert it to a smart object. File then Place Embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's exactly when you may get unwanted scaling, which is apparently what the problem is here.

To avoid scaling, copy - paste. That aligns the source pixel grid 1:1 to the target pixel grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is amazing how some respondents create more problems by feigning not to understand the question just because the asker wasn't using Photoshop and Graphic Design jargon. This is like one of the problems of Photoshop and many other Adobe products. Why is it so difficult to make Photoshop retain the quality of the image, regardless of how it was pasted? Then they go off the topic and ask questions in an entirely different direction. Then @Jason laChance stepped in with a simple answer and saved us, letting us know that the question was in plain English that even a second-language user would understand.

Well, here's a solution:
When you download the image, say, from Google, right-click on it and choose to open it with Photoshop. The resolution will remain the same. You can now copy and paste it into the original document where you want it to be. The resolution will remain the same.

Jason, I tried the 'embedded' placing but it didn't work for me. In the same vein, the solution that I described above may not work in all cases even though it worked in mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it so difficult to make Photoshop retain the quality of the image, regardless of how it was pasted? 

By @Fameandmurphy

Target image = 5000 x 5000 pixels.

Source object = 500 x500 pixel

But it's Adobe's fault that image quality is lost when streatching the smaller image element to the much heigher res image?  That difference in resoltion is the ONLY reason image quality is compromised, regardless of how it was added to the target image.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They think they'd look cool with those replies haha. I understand it as well from the title itself I don't understand why people need to overcomplicate things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you call »overcomplicate« appears to be the »bare minimum of pertinent information«, like the pixel dimensions of the source and the target.

Edit: Though that information would not need to be given as numbers, meaningful screenshots could be sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit concerned with your described workflow.  Are you saying that you paste an image into Word, and then copy the image from Word and paste in Photoshop?  Only that will almost certainly lead to a poor quality image in Photoshop.  Pasting images into MS apps like Word and Outlook tends to create huge images that need to be downsized.  If you have ever received a Word or Outlook document with embedded images, and tried to use those images in Photoshop you'll know that they are of limited use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines