• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When is Adobe going to fix the save as/over write feature when saving?

Participant ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has reaked havoc on production. When you edit a graphic (embedded in After Effects for instance) and you save, select replace it "used to" over right the existing file. Jump back to After Effects and the file instantly updates with the edit.

Now, even when you get a warning that the existing file is going to be written over, it saves a new document appended with "copy" - so what's the purpose of having a warning (in red no less) that the file is going to be written over when it in fact, doesn't?

To have the AE file replaced now, you need to open a finder window, locate the file, delete the original and remove "copy" from the edited version and you're where you used to be by saving a file. This needs to be done EVERY TIME you edit a graphic.

I started using PS in the 80's on version 1.0 and this is the least needed "feature" I've ever seen implemented.

What's more, I've seen countless people complaining about this all over the internet. Has Adobe stopped listening to what clients want? Come on Adobe, put this back to the way it was or at least give us a preference option to put it back manually. You ask us if we would recommend your products to others when we launch an app. Not if you keep adding "features" that slow production.

If an option exists to return this to the original saving method, please point me to it. VERY frustrating.

R.Cates
CSI Productions
If you want peace, be peaceful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

This is not the forum for feature requests.  Adobe doesn't monitor this forum for feature requests.

Please post your request in the appropriate  feature request forum

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the forum for feature requests.  Adobe doesn't monitor this forum for feature requests.

Please post your request in the appropriate  feature request forum

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After about 5000 threads on this issue during the last year or so, I gave up trying to keep track.

But since this doesn't, and never ever has, happened on my two Windows systems, I have a distinct feeling that this is a MacOS issue. I'd like to know, just out of general curiosity - have you tried to save over a jpeg from other applications? Not the MacOS native apps, but other third party imaging applications? Do they all do this, or is it just Photoshop?

Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created this thread over a year ago, updated PS multiple times since and this is STILL not resolved. Why not? If this is the direction of software updates you can have it. I'm SO glad I'm nearing the end of my professional career. I can't stand crap like this and what's worse, clearly Adobe knows this is an issue and refuses to address it. If I'm mistaken, I apologize for the rant. If there's a fix, an option or information for a workaround please point my to it. If not shame on Adobe for ignoring the people who earn their living with your products and keep your company going by buying them.

R.Cates
CSI Productions
If you want peace, be peaceful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From Adobe (community forums):
"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user to user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you have problems or need answers from other users who volunteer their time to help, do so in a discussion topic and message body, whereby you post specifics (what's the problem or issue, or the question) and provide some information about your operating system, version of the software you're asking about and steps to illustrate your problem.

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:

If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you so by following these guidelines:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idc-p/12932310#M...

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines