• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When "save as" the current file won't overwrite; but still keeps it's original name.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop 22.5.1 on Mac Big Sur 11.5.2.

When I'm working in a file and I use "save as" to overwrite a file, it won't update the file i'm working in.

So for example I'm working in a file named untitled.psd, and I "save as" newfile.psd. The open file I'm working in is still named untitled.psd. I have to close that file, go to finder en open newfile.psd to make sure I'm working in- and saving the correct file.

I have this for a while now, working in Mac Catalina. Hoping that when I updated to Big Sur the problem would be fixed. But I still have the same problem. Please help!! Because this is really anoying and a big problem for my job. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

I finally found a solution.  Under Edit>Preferences, go to the File Handling option and check the box Enable legacy "Save As" 

defaultlnq2jvwox5i9_0-1672865188775.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this really happen with .psd as file extension, or is this just an example? This behavior is expected when you use 'Save as' and choose a file format that does not fully support all the features of your current document. So for example if you use Save as "newfile.jpg" while your document is layered. It should not happen with .psd, because that format supports everything that Photoshop supports.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It sounds like you may have a bug if the file your working on is still untitled after Save as: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga  It happens for all file extensions. If I save a .psd file with another name (so it stays .psd) it won't update. And also if I save a .psd to JPEG, the JPEG file appears in my foler. But the file I'm working in stays the original .psd file..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should reset your preferences to see if that solves it, because I cannot reproduce your issue using the same versions of Photoshop and MacOS.

And also if I save a .psd to JPEG, the JPEG file appears in my foler. But the file I'm working in stays the original .psd file

Like I said: that is as expected if the PSD contains something that is not supported by JPEG (such as layers or 16 bits/color).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here looking for a solution to a similar issue, I have recreated it consistently as the OP describes since the most recent upgrade of my OS to Big Sur (RUnning photoshop 22.5) -- the current file will not update as the new SAVED AS file.
On my PC, which is running Win 10 and PS 20.0.2 the SAVE AS functions as desired; updating the current active file to the SAVE AS file, regardless of file type.  So, I know that previous versions of PS do function in that way.  
In digging for an answer, I see Adobe had to re-write the save as function since Apple removed an API they were using -- I hope this change in functionality was simply an oversight and not an intentional or forced change because of what Apple did to their OS.

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found a solution/cause for this bug, where "Save As" does not switch the active/working file to the newly saved file. I have experienced this across Photoshop, Premiere, and Illustrator.

From my brief testing, it seems that the bug occurs when using the keyboard shortcut for "Save As" (Ctrl + Shift + S), and the bug does NOT occur when using the File > "Save As" dropdown menu. This behavior is consistent across Photoshop, Premiere, and Illustrator.

Perhaps the keyboard shortcut alone is not coded to make this switch, or is not triggering a flag, or something. But this seems a consistent workaround until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a solution.  Under Edit>Preferences, go to the File Handling option and check the box Enable legacy "Save As" 

defaultlnq2jvwox5i9_0-1672865188775.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Susan - I will try to apply this across the other Adobe apps as well.

I do hope they fix this issue with their new Save As, since I imagine this behavior is a legitimate bug and every user would experience it, given they force the new Save As on by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  Hope it works for you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines