• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will PS for iPad be released?!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased the iPad Pro the day it was released because they said Photoshop would be available the first part of 2019. It is now past the first quarter of 2019 and Adobe hasn’t even made an update announcement to its consumers! The ONLY reason why I spent $3000 on an iPad is for Photoshop! I use photoshop at work and needed this to happen.

I am so disappointed in Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

It's available now (4 November 2019)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Anyone who knows the release date would be under NDA until Adobe makes an official announcement. When I heard that PS for iPad would be coming out sometime in 2019, my choice was to keep my old iPad until PS is actually released. Even then, I’ll wait at least another month. My hope is that Adobe waits to release it until it is without bugs.

As to your other question, Adobe Fresco is not a replacement for PS on the iPad. It has been in development under the code name “Project Gemini”. Read more here:

Our Upcoming Drawing and Painting App has a New Name: Adobe Fresco | Adobe Blog

It does look promising!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fresco is going to be absolutely amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where abouts can you sign up for the pre-release information!?

Also, I've been contemplating getting an ipad pro lately too. I've been hearing lots of good feedback from them. How long have you had yours and what kind of work (overall) do you see it helping you with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean $799 for the base model, or $999 for the bigger version, the full spec 1TB storage version was $1749,
did exaggerate by doubling the price for persuasive effect or something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got notified about being eligible for the pre-release. It’s coming soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With MAX coming in just a couple of months and seeing how the last couple of released of Photoshop was released then,  I'm pretty confident that we'll see it released then.   I could be entirely wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no iPad for $3,000.

The most expensive configuration of an iPad is the 12.9” iPad Pro 2018, with 1TB of storage with cellular connectivity. And even that is $1,899.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and not to mention that there's plenty of newer model iPads that aren't Pro models that will be capable of using the app and the Apple Pencil that you can purchase for just over $400 (if you buy the pencil as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think everyone needs to remember how challenging app development is. If you’re not familiar, no worries, you can’t know, what you don’t know. What Adobe is creating by bringing photoshop to iPad is such a major game changer and requires building from scratch, with majorly updated and new technology. That’s a challenge. I look forward to seeing what adobe releases (and what doors that may open to indesign and illustrator) and all their amazing team creates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly.  I think it's taking a bit longer than people thought to get it out there, because Photoshop has a long history and the programming language may be one that isn't compatible with the iPad, so they probably had to build it from scratch and as a result have to think of what is necessary and what isn't on a tablet environment.  As much as I love the way Celsys made a completely faithful port of Clip Studio onto the iPad,  I recognize that it may not be completely feasible to have the same thing happen with Photoshop,  especially with a lot of the scripts and actions. The overall interface that we're used to had to be redesigned, because it's not something that would work overly well with a touch/pen interface.  I mean, when I used to have my Cintiq 13HD,  the menus and interface were still a challenge on that with Photoshop, because they would be so small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

August 14...still no sign of it. No release date, no nothing. 4 months left of 2019, I hope they'll keep their promise of 2019 release, but I doubt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Max is in a couple of months. I can guarantee you that it’s going to be released then

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guarantee you can?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well not really, but I’m pretty confident about it

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there will be a "release date" in advance. They will decide it is ready enough and release that day. We have four months, I don't know why people are so agitated about a deadline that is nowhere near over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lest anyone gets too excited, a guarantee from someone who doesn't work for Adobe is a *strong opinion*, not a legally binding contract...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, I’m just going by the track history of when new versions of Photoshop has been released in the past. It tends to be more often than not during MAX

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPad OS13 is due to be released this fall. I wonder if that is a factor for the PS release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I think iPads are overrated.

First off, if you have a computer then you can run full versions of the Adobe software.  Plus, if you want other graphics software such as ZBrush, then there is no sense in getting an iPad or iPad Pro.  They are nice... but honestly you get more by getting a full computer.

Now you might be like with an iPad I can draw on the screen.  If that is the only reason you want an iPad then look into a Wacom MobileStudio Pro or Cintiq Companion 2.  Both of these are full Windows PCs and can run whatever software you desire.

Apple to me is just an over priced name.  And the iPad to me is still just a toy.  The only piece of software that is rocking iPad so far is Procreate.  But I would never buy an iPad to just get Procreate.

Another issue with the iPad is that it simply does not have the power of a PC or even MacBook.  Let's say you create something with hundreds of layers. Trust me an iPad can not handle it.  It simply does not have the power of a real computer.  Why do I want device that can not give me the power to do what I want to do?  Plus as we grow as creatives our needs evolve and change.  Thus, we need a strong device with power that can handle things we want to do.  For example, if now you are are only doing 2D graphics who knows in the future you may want to animate them... and that could also lead you to 3D.  An iPad will not allow you to evolve as a creative.  You will be stuck.

So for the price of an iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Apple Care... just get a computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree.

I bought an iPad myself about a year ago just as a support gadget and it's now a big part of my daily tasks, specially with apps like Vectornator that works with the Creative Cloud. I cannot use it more because of compatibility issues with the Adobe programs. Say, Affinity Designer it's absolutely great when it comes to vector and raster editing, it can handle big files but when transferred to illustrator or photoshop the layers seems to be off and do not work correctly. Without an AI to export for printing/send to clients the app is not useful professionally speaking. I think the great problem with the Ipad its the programs compatibiluty with the proffesional world, not the capability of the hardware itself.

While Illustrator for iPad it's maybe years away, PS will be a game changer. If done properly with Metal it will be able to handle big files, especially on the new 2019/2020 iPad and compatibility will no longer be an issue. We will be able to start and/or finish graphics on the iPad Pro without being necessary to go to a desktop for polishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never got used to Affinity though. Its UI isn't really user friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a Cintiq with my Macbook, it was a struggle. Having to deal with the driver and getting the pressure sensitivity and calibration just right was a real pain, plus if I was on the road, I would always have to look for a outlet for the Cintiq. The Wacom Pen was always uncomfortable to draw with for extended periods of time. I know there's mobile options for it, like the Mobile Studio Pro, but I heard way too many horror stories before from people I know where it wouldn't charge anymore or the battery would bloat.

I bought an iPad Pro and I don't regret it one bit and I don't miss my Cintiq. I do most of my work on it. The only time I use my desktop is for InDesign or to scan stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you feel the urge to explain to all of us in like 20 rows why you don't need and don't like the idea of using an iPad.

The people here who have the money to spend on it don't care, because they either have the money obviously or they really benefit of the portable nature of this Apple device. That's like going into a forum about hi-fi audio tech to tell the people that "I don't see the point of buying expensive speakers." Like, who cares? Same with this thread. It's about people with iPads, talking about the Photoshop release date. Do you think there's any of us that need an explanation on WHY our purchase is useless? To undermine our choice? You have all the rights to do so, but why? So let me write some more about the subject, just like you did, why not.
So, first of all there's no need to argue about specifics like "I can draw on the screen" or something else. Everybody has his OWN price set on things about their comfort. You can't put a price on that. For you, something may not be worth it, for somebody else, it may be everything. Some people don't value comfort as much as others. Same with many.other.things. I value comfort and productivity in nearly every way, so I'm happy to pay for it. Some people value money more than comfort, so they are more likely to compromise their comfort, just so they can spend less money. The world has everything for everybody.
I have a powerful PC, a Macbook Pro, a Wacom tablet and an iPad and I'm an artist, a game dev and I do 3D models and I can guarantee you that the iPad is a game changer for me. It's not a gimmick, it's really useful to me in many...many situations.
TBH, I also had my prejudice against it in the past like "who needs an oversized iPhone?! You either buy a computer...or a smartphone". Then I saw Procreate and then I tried it in an Apple store like "okay let's see what's the fuzz all about" and I couldn't stop drawing on it. Then I bought it, my girlfriend who's also an artist and a 3D creator also bought one, because she saw the potential and usefulness. And then I quickly found out that it's not just an oversized iPhone. With iPad OS, the pencil itself and apps like Adobe Fresco and Photoshop by the end of the year, the iPad is getting even further away to be compared to an iPhone. Tablets are the future.
Ever since I bought it, I take it with me instead of the Macbook like 9 out of 10 times.I take the Macbook with me ONLY when I know I'll be playing games or use software that doesn't have an alternative (or mobile version) on the iPad. ALSO, with software like Moonlight, I can stream my PC to the tablet with no problems at all and if I don't have wi-fi, cellular is the way to go. Not to mention, iOS 13 adds console controllers bluetooth support and with Apple getting into gaming very soon, the iPad is looking like a great device to game onto too, with exclusive games even. Oh and with Moonlight streaming, I can stream ALL my PC games and play them on the iPad using a Dualshock 4 controller. I can also stream my PS4 games.
With Photoshop getting a full release on the iPad, I wonder how many other programs will come to the device in one shape or another. The iPads will also get more powerful with every new version and software update too.
Yeah and another thing, before you go telling me I'm just rich and that's why I waste my money, I want to tell you that this tech is bought with money I worked for, so I'm not spending them if I don't think they'll really be useful to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully disagree on that one. Long time laptop/wacom user and I gotta say... Apple Pencil is the BEST digital drawing experience I've had in my life. Working with Procreate (A $10 app) I'm able to create better art than I'm able to make with my expensive and clunky Cintiq. I honestly have no reason to go back, save for not having photoshop yet. I might not even invest in a laptop honestly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to check out the new offerings, their processor is now as fast as most computers. And they now support external drives with the new USB-C connector. I think we're seeing the real possibilities of working strictly on iPad. Because a laptop just isn't as portable, period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines