• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHERE ARE THE LAYERS???!!

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had some work made by a graphic artist. The work was emailed to me through gmail and when I open the files in Photoshop the layers are gone. My photoshop is the latest version and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. How can I retrieve or get the individual layers of the artwork to pop up? Could this be because the artwork was created on a MacBook and I have a HP? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop files may be way too big to email reliably. Or at all. Use a safer method to share files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What safer methods would you suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What safer methods would you suggest.

By @EastEastTip24000613nfch

They put the PSD in Dropbox or Creative Cloud and post a link for you to download.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EastEastTip24000613nfch - What file format were the files? JPEG, PSD etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG

By @EastEastTip24000613nfch

PNG does not support layers.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This, then, is easily explained. At least in one way. A PNG is always perfectly flat, that is to say it can never have any layers. If layers it is that you want, having the designer's PSD sent to you is the way. This is going to be a much larger file; you probably should NOT rely on email to get it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @EastEastTip24000613nfch ,

It will be helpful if you can show us screenshots of the file and know what file type it is. It could also have been flattened before being sent back t you which would have removed all the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_2237.jpeg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EastEastTip24000613nfch 

Ask the artist to post a link to the layered psd in Creative Cloud, Dropbox, or another file sharing service. You haven't answered any of our questions yet, but you probably want to start by querying the artist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for the suggestion. The artist can't figure out why I cannot see the layers either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then the artist must also understand the advice others have given in this thread, which is that export file formats such as PNG, JPEG, GIF etc. cannot and never have been able to preserve Photoshop layers.

The file formats that can preserve Photoshop layers are Photoshop format (.PSD), Photoshop Large Document format (.PSB), Photoshop Cloud Document format (.PSDC), and TIFF (.TIFF or .TIF). If a Photoshop layered file is exported to a different format than those, it will be flattened to a single layer. Not because of Photoshop, but because other formats simply have no way to store layers created by any application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that they GA intended you to have a layered PSD file?   Was that agreed up front?  I never gave clients editable files because a) it drove a nail into future work from that client if they could do it themselves, and 2) If they do edit the work and make a pigs ear of of it and it, has your name on it, people might assume that you are responsible for shite work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the case but thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here to say the same thing. I know that some designers don't like to give up their layered files. As to why one can't figure out why you can't see layers on a .png file, well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines