• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I choose the paper type before printing?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after I updated my iMac recently the print details changed, now I can not choose the paper type when printing from the Canon TM-300, but I can choose the paper type when printing from my little epson ET-2710. can anybody help me?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to access the options under Printer Settings.

-see attached-

warmly/j2022-03-27_07-55-38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6B21FC84-DA23-4D99-A5B0-B724E07E393A.png

 I get that choice on my small printer but not for the Canon TM-300

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the printer manufacturer's site and download their driver and reinstall. You may have the Apple-supplied Gutenprint driver which isn't the one you want to be using here.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I agree with digitaldog, you are probably using Apple's built-in Gutenprint / Gimp print driver.

Gimp print

Does the print driver look different? some options have changed?

Are media names the same as previous drivers you've used, i.e. for an Epson is 'Premium Luster Photo Paper' mentioned or are the media types just matte or gloss? 

You'll be aware, I'm sure, that the selected media name in the driver must match the selection made when profiling. BUT is the media name you selected previously actually there in the list?

IF the media names listed differ (and have been simplified) then you are perhaps inadvertently using the Gimp/ Gutenprint driver rather than Epson’s own. It's not just a matter of installing it you have to select it too. [in installed printers] .  I do know it's very important to use the printer manufacturer's own driver software. I tripped over this myself on a client site, the driver looked different and I put it down to an OSX update imposed style

This is what a genuine Epson driver offers:

Page Setup Roll Paper.jpg

Better download the driver direct from Canon, install - and also when you "add" it, be sure to NOT set "Print Using" to "Airprint"

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bit more on Airprint:

Add printer, AirPrint issue

Can you access print settings in an application other than Photoshop, try Preview?

If not, a thorough purge may be in order, perhaps install drivers (downloaded from Epson) again: 

CANON:

You can clean up the print system like this:

1: Delete all instances of Canon printers from  

System Preferences / Printers & Scanners -or- System Preferences>Print & Fax, whichever you have.

2. Then go to /Library/Printers and trash the whole Canon folder.

3.  Then go to Canon online and download the printer drivers yourself.

Do not let the Mac install the printer driver for you.

There’s one more tripwire - in System Preferences / Printers  - - - , when adding the connected printer

[i.e. click the padlock, enter your password and click the “+” button]

- watch out for the “Use" selection

Name Epson Stylus Pro 4900.jpg

- I recommend you do not select "Airprint" there under "use", but, rather, manually set "use” to the printer name, which will then call on the manufacturer’s own software rather than the default Apple driver (that’s based on Gimp Print, which misses out some printing options such as specific manufacturers media names). 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines