• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which one is best to make living: Photoshop or illustrator

New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I am learning photoshop to make living, just a quick question?

Which on is best? Photoshop or illustrator?

and which one is easy to learn?

EageInSkye

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That question cannot be answered until you describe what it is you will do to make a living. Photoshop an Illustrator are just tools. Each is the best for different jobs. So what jobs will making a living entail.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I'm just turned 18, I want to do some freelancing to make some living. 

EageInSkye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be frank, unless you have some very extraordinary talent, you'll be unlikely to make a living from Photoshop. There are thousands of people throughout the world offering Photoshop services for next to nothing.

My advice is to learn something difficult like programming.

Have a look at the job adverts to see what firms are looking for and what qualifications are required, and get professional training to get those qualifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since you have already started with Photoshop, keep going with it until you feel comfortable. Photoshop is raster and Illustrator is vector, so they do different things, and many of us both back and forth between both, depending on which one is best for a specific task. Neither is "best".

The Photography plan (annual) is less expensive than the Illustrator or All Apps plan.

Neither is "easy" to learn — they both have a steep learning curve, and you'll need to put the time in to learn them well. Take a class or get a subscription to LinkedIn Learning. You can get a 30 free trial.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop and Illustrator are the tools used for the career, they are not the career itself.  As such, focusing on one or the other depends on what field you go into. 

I'd suggest reaching out to individuals doing what you'd like to be doing and ask them about what tools they use.

That said, while a particular career may use one more than the other, you probably want to be comfortable in both.

Here's what I'd say for some common careers (in no particular order):

• Graphic Designer - Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign
  • Photographer - Photoshop
  • Freelance Designer - Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign
  • Web Developer - Photoshop and Illustrator and XD
  • Designer - Photoshop and Illustrator
  • Graphic Artist - Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign
  • Art Director - Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign
  • Production Artist - Photoshop and Illustrator
  • Interactive Developer - Photoshop and Illustrator and XD
  • Motion Design - Photoshop and Illustrator and After Effects
  • Illustrator - Illustrator and a little Photoshop

Or course, those are my thoughts on it.  You'd really want to talk to someone doing it.

Another way to look at it is by ways in which Photoshop and Illustrator are used:

This may also be worth a quick read:

- Warren Heaton

Senior Designer, CBS Brand Creative & Marketing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some great advice in this thread. Decide the career path you want to follow then learn the skills and applications appropriate to that path.

As an aside, I have never been asked what camera, software or hardware I will use to create an image. I have though been asked for a portfolio of images.

Build up uour skills in the software but importantly build up a portfolio that shows off your skills in relation to the type of work you want to gain. It is that portfolio that could be the difference between a client, or employer, being impressed by you over another Photoshop or Illustrator skilled person.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines