• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I losing my layers from my PSD files? [2017]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating a layered PSD file I save it. Then I flatten the image and save as a PDF. When I go back to the PSD file I lose all the layers (it is also flattened). I have been doing it this way for many years. This unwanted flattening of the original PSD has just started happening. I cannot afford to lose the original layers as changes alway are needed.

Is this some new change to Photoshop?

Please help me.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

@CandyC941 wrote:

I save the PSD 1st, then save a flat PDF and then I go back later to open up my PSD file, and it's flat.

Hi @CandyC941 

You responded to a post from four years ago in 2017 and things have changed. In the post you replied to from 2019, @davescm succinctly called this a "gotcha" and this issue has been solved by Adobe.

As of 22.4.1, use Save a Copy to save png, jpg, pdf, etc. You will not lose your Photoshop layers.
As of 22.4.2, you can revert to the previous behavior in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export a psd file to a pdf is this box checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure, because I do not use export, I use Save As. Even so, what woukd that have to do with the original layered PSD? If I am saving as a PDF from the original layered PSD, why is it changing (flattening) the original PSD?

It has never done that before. Something has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Autosave enabled under Preferences > File handling?

in your workflow, you mentioned that you flattened after a save, then did “Save As.” If you left the file open after flattening, before the save as, it might have auto saved.

I recommend saving as PDF first and flatten after saving the PDF - if you need it flattened. Don’t make destructive changes on your original document, as it takes a simple click to lose your work (I have done this when closing a file - “Do you want to save?” “Yes.” Click. Wait! I mean NO! Arggh).

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do save as layered PDF first, then flatten the pdf. What is happening is when I go back to the original layered PSD, it is also flattened. This has happened many times recently. At first, i thought I might have made a mistake, but I have been very diligent and now notice it is happening on its own. It is very costly to me to have to spend time recreating Layered PSD's on every job.

I think there is a bug in the recent updates that is causing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you let us know the process you are following to flatten the pdf saved from Photoshop and this is happing on Mac OS X or Windows.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mac OS X, here is a step by step analysis of what I do:

1) Create an original multilayered document, go to file > save as > and choose Photoshop PSD and I save as: filename.psd.

2) Then while filename.psd is still open, go to file > save as > and choose Photoshop PDF ad save as: filename.pdf.

3) Then while filename.pdf is still open file, I flatten the image and go to file > save as > and choose same document name in my folder (filemane.pdf).

4) When I re-open filename.psd it is flattened (only one layer).

I have used this same method for years and never lost a layered file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3) Then while filename.pdf is still open file, I flatten the image and go to file > save as > and choose same document name in my folder (filemane.pdf).

In step 3 - you are overwriting the document as a flattened file. Try doing this step in the same way however when you do a save as File Name-flat.pdf.

When you open your filename.pdf it will be layered because when you did the Save As you changed the name so that it wouldn't be overwritten.

That said there is an easier way:

1. Open original layered .psd file

2. Save As .pdf and Uncheck the Layers box as shown in the screen shot above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you doing the same steps as I have done in following video - https://youtu.be/ajtRER4bIwE

You can see in video I don't face any issue working with PSD & PSD PDF. Also make sure that "layers" is checked in options while saving the PSD.

Can you share the video the way I create you that we can visually see the issue.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a layered psd doc, Saved it as a layer test.psd (so as not to overwrite my original document). Flattened the test doc and saved as a pdf. I was able to open the layered test doc without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the same problem. HELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is not a bug but is , IMO, bad interface design.

When you save as a PDF you will see this warning :

2019-11-02_15-24-01.jpg

If you choose not to Preserve Photoshop Editing capabilities :

2019-11-02_15-25-50.jpg

The next time you save as a PSD then the layers box will be unchecked. There is a warning which you can click and read but it is not very prominent

2019-11-02_15-27-25.jpg

So the layers box needs to be checked before saving. Many people get caught out once with this "gotcha".

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem now, and I am a mac user. I save the PSD 1st, then save a flat PDF and then I go back later to open up my PSD file, and it's flat. Mac does not have the "layers" check box anymore when saving a PSD. This is madness, please help! Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 9.57.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-15 at 9.57.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CandyC941 wrote:

I save the PSD 1st, then save a flat PDF and then I go back later to open up my PSD file, and it's flat.

Hi @CandyC941 

You responded to a post from four years ago in 2017 and things have changed. In the post you replied to from 2019, @davescm succinctly called this a "gotcha" and this issue has been solved by Adobe.

As of 22.4.1, use Save a Copy to save png, jpg, pdf, etc. You will not lose your Photoshop layers.
As of 22.4.2, you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options if you prefer:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup thanks I wrote Adobe got some help that was the exact solution thanks Jane. I had to enable "legacy save as". Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Candy, I'm glad it's working for you now 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to hold back my anger but I will.

The new save behavior lost me a well organized, multi layered document, filled with important and hard to recreate smart objects.
And what makes it even worse, I saved regularly - but not incrementally - to a cloud. Because of the cloud service I rarely save incrementally, that's wasted space for me.

I tell you what I did:
1. I opened a document, I did a test if I could save multi page PDF-s from a multi-artboard PSD document (I couln't BTW). I unchecked the keep editable toggle, my fault I know but who would have known what's coming.
2. I deleted the artboards and started working in the file, in classical layered organisation instead
3. I hit save as, changed the PDF to a PSD (NO WARNINGS, NO SAVE OPTIONS) and continued to work happily in the file for another 5 hours or so, saving again and again, over my PSD, knowing my data is saved.

Except it wasn't. All those saves were flattened.

And here comes your fault in it. I checked the legacy save and did the same test.
When after the saved (flat) PDF I try to do a Save As command and change it to PSD, the Layers option is there and checked by default! I don't even have to think about it and I never have before.
Of course, why would I not want to save layers in a PSD? That's why I use PSD-s for 20 something years.

But in the new version there's simply no options at Save As and literally NOTHING tells you that from now on you'll save flattened files. I learned my lessons but this is a horrible-horrible design choice.
You should at least change the save as PSD default so this won't happen with others too.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you get your layers back I am having the same issue now and I am about to have a heat attack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines