• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I opening Photoshop today to find it COMPLETELY RESET, DELETING ALL OF MY ACTIONS

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a large project, saved files last night.  Open Photoshop this morning and the ENTIRE program is reset.  The UI/workspaces are reset to default, actions have been DELETED and reset to default, hot-keys, everything.

Adobe - EXPLAIN TO ME how this is an acceptable practice. I didn't open the program and reset a damn thing on my own.  This is not the first time that this has happened where the system just resets for no user-driven reason like updating.  I updated the software two weeks ago to the latest available on the CC. 

I have actions that I have not backed up - actions that I have created that are now LOST because you allow some sort of stealth update?  WHY is the program reset when I did not do it by hand?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. First, let me explain that you're not writing to Adobe here. This is a user to user forum, and sometimes, Adobe will come in and respond to some posts - but otherwise, it's users who are responding.
Do you, by any chance have Edit>Preferences>General and have "Reset Preferences on Quit" checked? If so, that's exactly what it will do.
If you don't have that checked (Normally, that WON'T reset your Actions), please submit this as a bug report in the tabs at the top of the Photoshop Ecosystem threads.
IF your Photoshop ran an update without your permission, please ensure you go to your Creative Cloud app and in Preferences, DE-select Auto Update. Please note: Photoshop did not come out with an update, last night.

Please do back up, regularly. And, then backup your whole system, regularly. If you create incremental backups, you can always find your settings, if any issues occur.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you on that these are community driven forums.  However, I would wager that many in the community are tired of Adobe's terrible practices with updates/phantom updates/broken updates and short of going to Adobe's social media and trying to highjack a post to express concerns, these forums are the last resort.

No I do not have the user settings enabled to reset to defaults upon close. Nor did I open the program with the hot-key combo to do so.  This is as simple as closing down Photoshop, opening it a few hours later (after a computer reboot) and suddenly Photoshop is acting like it was just installed for the first time. 

This has happened three times now, since they added the Neural Filters (version 22?) and seems to happen shortly after a hotfix is pushed through.  I'm not the only person that has expressed this issue.  Some of the most famous retouchers in the world have lamented this on their social media.  Bug?  For sure.  And the report was already sent. 

But I do appreciate you, a community member, trying to help resolve.  Truly - I do and thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not help now, but it may in the future:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html?m=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link - I already know how to save actions and have done so on the regular, before every update or fresh install.  That's what is so frustrating here, I did none of that and yet I go to sleep with Photoshop being what it is and a few hours later, it's completely reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Reality Reimagined wrote:

Thank you for the link - I already know how to save actions and have done so on the regular, before every update or fresh install.  That's what is so frustrating here, I did none of that and yet I go to sleep with Photoshop being what it is and a few hours later, it's completely reset.

That is great news, many don't understand that actions that have not been manually saved to .atn file are temporary and that the Actions Palette.psp file is temporary and may become corrupted or reset losing any unsaved actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Backup everything you can't afford to lose (prefs, actions etc). 

2. What you report doesn't happen, has never happened for me (and many others) so it's not by design. 

3. Check your Adobe Creative Cloud advanced options for updates to make sure indeed, you have the settings to keep preferences. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines