• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are the ruler marks so hard to see? [2018]

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My eye sight is good, by why are the ruler marks so hard to discern in Photoshop now? Dragging out my guides once was effortless and easy - now I can barely see the location markers in the ruler (that light color on the dark gray - seems like the markers are small or very thin.) Anyone else have a problem with this and is there any way to adjust this?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

I was trying to stick with a middle to darker theme with easier to read ruler marks, but it seems its just not possible. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7044

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.38.43 AM.pngJust seems like the ruler markers are harder to see than they've been in previous versions of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using a dark Color Theme? Are you working for video or film editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice at least no significant difference to Photoshop CC 2017 in that regard.

Which version are you comparing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a designer and musician. I'm wondering why the ruler strokes are so much harder to see now. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when working for print the dark Colour Themes are unfit, but many users seem to stick with them presumably because the default is a dark theme now.

Like I said I don’t notice a relevant difference to CC 2017 in that regard but I am not sure which older version you are used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for using the lightest colour theme. It means your eyes are not misled into adjusting the image too dark and has the added benefit of making the ruler very clear. I also set the background to 50% grey.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to stick with a middle to darker theme with easier to read ruler marks, but it seems its just not possible. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, I also really like to work with a dark background.  But changing it to a very light grey does make a difference!  I found that if you make the theme a light grey then scroll down to choose your custom colour it changes the colour of the art board.  So I can still work with a dark back ground and have the surrounding area light so everything is easy to see.  This is so cool.  Thanks Dave! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find even with changing the color theme to white or a light grey and making the background darker, the markers are still next to impossible to read, and I also like my layer panels dark.  How difficult would it be to have the optoins to change the marker's color?  Any plug-ins for this???  I'm coming from CS6 and having to adjust to different key commands etc.. so it's just one more frustration on top of others. I know, new tricks for an old dog, but I'm trying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm This is so interesting about print=light so our eyes don't adjust too much! I have been struggling with this for a while (dark mode, screen brightness, tyring to "see" colors accurately for print) AND I cannot see the ruler hashes, which are vital to layout-- I am so grateful for you sharing this information so thouroughly! You've helped me with many things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im glad I am not the only one with this issue.  I sent Embrilliance an e-mail asking if there is a way to make the ruler more pronounced that I can barely see it.  He said he was going to pass my message on to the programmers to see if this can get added.   It couldn't hurt if more request were sent.  Maybe it could be a priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scottmosher you say "now" the main change that recently happened was the addition of natively GPU rendered rulers, you can try to disable that option in Photoshop /preferences (settings in the latest OS)/ technology preview https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/technology-previews.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At last! You have helped me a lot: in my case the ruler marks almost completely disappeared when zooming in my file, and now they look better, just enough to return to work at ease.

¡Mil gracias, @PECourtejoie! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, glad to head it was helpful!

May I ask which GPU and driver version you have on your computer (Help>GPU Compatibility)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Sure, no problem at all:

I'am attaching a screenshot of the GPU data, and also another one where you can clearly see the difference between the ruler marks before and after, just in case it's also useful.gpu_driver_screenshot.jpg

before_after_screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Way better the enlarged version of the second one, by the way).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So tired of not being able to see the markings on the rulers ant help to see bigger and darker markings is appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well, 5 years later and in illustrator, i am having the same problem.... i am using the dark background, but it is so hard to see the ruler incraments... what can i do to make it more visible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines